CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: more questions for a confused newbie :)

Posted by currinh@O...
on 2001-11-25 20:01:50 UTC
Matt:

On 26 Nov, pkranger63@... wrote:
> Well all the parts (I think) are ordered for my Sherline mill cnc
> conversion.

Cool. :-)

> I plan on using autocad since I was able t0 get a copy
> from my brother and there seems to be a lot of books on learning the
> program i also plan on giving the vectorcad/cam demo as well as the
> bobcad demo a try. This is where I am getting a little fuzzy with
> this stuff.

I know little myself but think these divisions are inherantly fuzzy.

> Am I drawing the part I want to mill as well as the tool
> path in the cad program or am I just drawing the part and using
> another program for the toolpath. From there if I understand
> correctly I use a program to convert the file to G-code, vector and
> bobcad I think both come with this type of software but using autocad
> I would need to use Ace from yeager. From there I feed the g-code to
> my control software which I think will be CNCpro.

I consider drawing the part itself a function of a CAD program such as
Autocad. I use CadKey and/or QCad for this drawing/design. Then, at
least as I break it out, the tool path is developed by a CAM package.
The CAM package also generates the G-Code from this tool path. I'm
starting to use Vector for CAM and like it. Then the G-Code is taken to
a machine controller which executes the G-Code with output signals to
the motor drivers. Here I am using EMC under linux, a bear to get going
but great now that it's running.

Now it gets fuzzy between CAD and CAM. I believe most CAM packages have
some CAD functionality. Vector does but I have used little of it. The
CAM packages will import drawings from most or many CAD packages. So you
would not need to use Ace Converter but could also use Vector or another
CAM package to build tool paths and G-code from Autocad drawings. You
could draw the tool paths in Autocad (or any CAD) and import these to a
CAM package for generation of G-code. (I am finding Vector so good at
this tool path generation I use it.) So the split between using CAD or
CAM (or CAD/CAM) packages together is individual and will be what works
best for you. It will also depend also on which CAD and which CAM
packages are involved.

I'm new to this and am finding CNC requires a different way of thinking
than manual machining. As with manual machining, the better you know
your tools the more productive you can be. But with CNC the tool inlude
all the manual machining techniques plus CAD, CAM and the machine
controller. Much more complex. But I see great advantages even at my
early stage of learning Vector and G-code.

> Is this anywhere close to correct?

Yes, you're pretty much right on, 'far as I know. :-)

> Don't suppose there is a CNC for dummies book :)

I'm aware of no book for this but there is a great e-mail list on Yahoo
called [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO]. :-)

Keep us updated. Thanks.

Hugh Currin
Klamath Falls, OR

Discussion Thread

pkranger63@y... 2001-11-25 17:52:30 UTC more questions for a confused newbie :) Carol & Jerry Jankura 2001-11-25 19:10:12 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] more questions for a confused newbie :) Fitch R. Williams 2001-11-25 19:43:26 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] more questions for a confused newbie :) currinh@O... 2001-11-25 20:01:50 UTC Re: more questions for a confused newbie :) pkranger63@y... 2001-11-25 22:01:19 UTC Re: more questions for a confused newbie :) Tim Goldstein 2001-11-25 22:11:50 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: more questions for a confused newbie :) alenz@c... 2001-11-25 23:16:22 UTC Re: more questions for a confused newbie :) Chris L 2001-11-26 16:21:56 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: more questions for a confused newbie :) David Goodfellow 2001-11-26 16:31:12 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: more questions for a confused newbie :) Chris L 2001-11-26 19:19:33 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: more questions for a confused newbie :) IMService 2001-11-26 20:08:22 UTC Re: Re: Re: more questions for a confused newbie :) Chris L 2001-11-26 20:21:28 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Re: Re: more questions for a confused newbie :) machines@n... 2001-11-27 00:25:09 UTC Re: more questions for a confused newbie :) Smoke 2001-11-27 08:15:04 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: more questions for a confused newbie :)