CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: more questions for a confused newbie :)

Posted by Chris L
on 2001-11-26 16:21:56 UTC
I find that I am much better off drawing my parts in a Cad program and
just use Vectors Cam portion. Of course, that's just me.............The reasons
are twofold.

The First is, I can keep an actual part drawing totally separate from the
toolpath concept. Lets say I design a machine, I keep it all in a Cad program
where I can overlay, assemble, dismantle and whatever. The Whole machine is on
one drawing. I am not sure I could endure the many changes I need to do if I
did it in Vector. Sure, the little cut copy paste window pops up, and I could
move anything anywhere, but I don't necessarily know what numbers to put in !
Anyone who has drawn with Ashlar knows what I mean. AutoSketch7 comes real
close if you can deal with the minor bugs and run it with a macro button
program or Sensiva.

Closely related to that, It is important to me to also have complete .dwg file
capability. I guess as bad as that sounds, at least almost everyone you ever
deal with has that capability for file transfers. Another issue is, I always
have a really good "Master" file in a program I know inside and out.

Simply saving or Exporting the exact part I want to make from the Main Drawing
via DXF, then opening it in Vector for the toolpaths and pocket routines works
excellent. Once the toolpaths are done, I can ditch the whole thing if I want,
opening the master drawing if I ever need to though usually not. I have the
CODE !

The Second reason is this. I can't draw worth a darn in Vector. It may have
some strong points and I am sure you can "Get there". I have found some unique
items. the new ability to create toolpaths from WMF is interesting.

But, Bottom line is I can draw 10 times faster in Ashlar, or Autosketch. I can
have 4 entities in place in the time it takes me to input the X1X2Y1Y2 and Z
line information for ONE line in Vector.

I probably do not draw like most people. Often I do not know exacting locations
of something. Take for example a holes center. I might not know, and generally
don't have to where the center even is. All I need is a diameter and an edge or
two. Draw a few offset lines and with the modern "Snap point" technologies.....
I am done. No math to figure in my head, just flat out drawing. Add to that the
built in math functions. (like a hole is: 2.45878 diameter. What's the radius ?
who cares ! just type the diameter > then the \ (divide) key and 2. DONE)

The real beauty of Vector is its ability to ditch DXF "Dupes" and also its
ability to "Reorganize" lines into toolpaths.

Its like everything else out there. You gotta use the parts of a program that
work for you individually. I have NEVER seen the ultimate Cad or Cam Program. I
don't expect to see it in the near future either !

So if you are like me and already overly familiar with your present Cad
package, I don't know that it is beneficial to learn Vectors drawing aspects.
Unless of course you are using BobCad..............

Chris L