CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: more questions for a confused newbie :)

Posted by machines@n...
on 2001-11-27 00:25:09 UTC
>--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "IMService" <imserv@v...> wrote:
>
> Most of which were in Vector in 1992! Try the line aligned for
>sketching
> lines "about" where you want, don't worry too much about the ends,
>as
> you will just trim them to the next line you sketch. This is very
>different
> from most CAD systems. Except for John Stevenson who likes to draw
> with cryptic numonic key codes on a DOS based system, Vector is
>very
> good at guick "napkin" types of designs. Everything can be
>modified,
> dragged around, stretched and scaled to fit whatever you want. (Hi ?
John) ;-)

Hi Fred ;-)
Just for the record it's not DOS. For two years now it's been 32 bit,
written in assembly code and bloody fast, previously it was just 16
bit.
As regards the cryptic numonic keys I must admit it does look like
that but they are only shortcut key that are user defined.
Many programs have shortcut keys or hot keys. Selecting the draw menu
then line then type of line is just the same as either clicking on an
icon, typing "LINE" on the command line or just hitting the 'L' key.
I know what is quicker. Not sure if Vector has this feature [ not
installed currently on my machine ] but I believe so. Bobcad doesn't.

I have alway maintained and I still stick to my guns that none of the
low end programs has a CAD side that has had more though put into it
for PRODUCING DRAWINGS than for PRODUCING TOOLPATHS.
I know this is what the CAD side is there for but in most cases it's
far quicker to bring in the part as a dxf than struggle with a non
user defined program.

About 6 years ago I was stuck in the house recovering from a hospital
stay. To keep busy I took on doing some drawing for a customer,
taking all their old paper drawing and putting them onto computer.
Tried the scans etc. Total waste of time, far quicker to redraw.
I did about 6 hours a day solid and really thumped some drawings out.
Their boss called round one day saw what I was doing and sent for his
two draftsmen. Result was within two weeks they had changed programs.
After the inital nit picking and groaning [ who likes change ?]these
two guys got really stuck into it.

Anything is OK for the odd drawing but believe me if you have to
knock stuff out fast and paper redraws don't pay much let me add
anything that can speed the process up is welcome.
I know a lot of programs support symbols but by the time you have
looked though a catalogue, found the nearest, got it on screen,
scaled it, rotated it etc it often quicker to draw the damn thing.

Discussion Thread

pkranger63@y... 2001-11-25 17:52:30 UTC more questions for a confused newbie :) Carol & Jerry Jankura 2001-11-25 19:10:12 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] more questions for a confused newbie :) Fitch R. Williams 2001-11-25 19:43:26 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] more questions for a confused newbie :) currinh@O... 2001-11-25 20:01:50 UTC Re: more questions for a confused newbie :) pkranger63@y... 2001-11-25 22:01:19 UTC Re: more questions for a confused newbie :) Tim Goldstein 2001-11-25 22:11:50 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: more questions for a confused newbie :) alenz@c... 2001-11-25 23:16:22 UTC Re: more questions for a confused newbie :) Chris L 2001-11-26 16:21:56 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: more questions for a confused newbie :) David Goodfellow 2001-11-26 16:31:12 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: more questions for a confused newbie :) Chris L 2001-11-26 19:19:33 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: more questions for a confused newbie :) IMService 2001-11-26 20:08:22 UTC Re: Re: Re: more questions for a confused newbie :) Chris L 2001-11-26 20:21:28 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Re: Re: more questions for a confused newbie :) machines@n... 2001-11-27 00:25:09 UTC Re: more questions for a confused newbie :) Smoke 2001-11-27 08:15:04 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: more questions for a confused newbie :)