CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: more questions for a confused newbie :)

Posted by Chris L
on 2001-11-26 19:19:33 UTC
Dave,
you might want to check out this interesting document:
http://www.vectorcam.com/newwhyvect.html

I think that will plainly tell you something.

I just made it know in another post that I do not use Vectors Cad portion
very much. However, I think many do, and I think many of them came from
BobCad. Hopefully they will respond with their experiences. It's just that I
already know the programs I have been using for years: AutoSketch and Ashlar
(2d engine).

Once long ago, I had used the DOS version of BC. Sorry, Not for me ! Not long
ago, I did cross paths with a Windows version. V17 I think. A small machine
shop needed help figuring it out as their main BC expert quit. I wrestled
thru what they needed done but it was not enjoyable. That may have been
because I had been using Surfcam Daily at the time. Back then even Surf was
no dreamboat but it was lightyears ahead of BC! I recall just doing it in
Surf to get it done.

In fairness however, I know an excellent die maker that uses BC exclusively !
DOS version too yet!!

Did you start out your drawing/creating career drawing with Bobcad? Do you
need the 3d for drawing or do you really just operate in the 2d arena?

I think the FYI tells you alot of what you need to know about Vector. If you
want to draw with something a little more up to date yet very inexpensive,
Look For AutoSketch 8 or QuickCad 8 (versions 7 are about the same). These
two suprisingly sell for between $69 and $100. I've even heard of them at
home builder type stores for $29 ! Don't be fooled. They are excellent
programs. In fact I think overwhelming for whats out there. They are really
only 2d but allow you to create 3d type extrusions of parts. Some have had a
few small issues as with any windows software. These can be read about in
AutoDesk's newsgroups for the programs.

With Sketch or QCad, You will be able to draw like the wind, Import DXF files
from those drawings into Vector and then create and manage your G-Code. Let
Vector add your 3d if necessary.

Some may suggest a CAM only option. Well, First off, Vector is excellent at
allowing you full control of what you want to do. I did not ever find that to
be the case in BC. The really nice thing about this is that if you DO need to
add a line or two, Vector will let you draw it where you would not be able to
in a CAM only situation.

I think the thing I like most about Vector is that it seems like the company,
and the company who sells it seem to WANT to improve and grow the product.
This is good. Try calling Surfcam or MasterCam and tell them what you'd like
to see added to their product. You won't get far. They already have all the
answers.

I think Vector is on the move....... And it doesn't cost a lot !

Chris L