CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Plasma Cutter Info

Posted by Dale Smith
on 2002-01-13 10:15:25 UTC
Ray,

Don't look now but I was building 3,000 volt 750 ma power supplies in my
bedroom when I was 12 years old. The digital age seems to have given
everyone a deep seated fear of anything over 5 volts.

There are people who couldn't stay alive without an interlock on everything
electrical but there are others who make a living by defeating those
interlocks and fixing the innards for the benefit of others. It all depends
on who you are and where you're at.

Personally, I am also looking for plasma cutter info too. I would bet that
when I gather enough info to design a powewr/control unit, 99% of the parts
will come from my junk box and won't involve anything I haven't done 1,000
times before.

One thing I have never done is have $1,800 to spend on a tool.

WDSmith

Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 23:22:24 -0800
From: "Raymond Heckert" <jnr@...>
Subject: Re: Re: plasma cutter

Don't even go there!! You are talking LETHAL voltages & currents. You'll
need a juicy-sized transformer (variable, or with taps), a high frequency
generator to generate the initial plasma arc, a sensor to transfer over to
"main-arc", an airjet controller, etc, etc. You just can't build one of
these cheaper than buying one. I bought an ESAB that'll cut 7/8" steel,
and sever 1.25" for about $1800.00. I plan to build a CNC gantry for it to
cut 60" x 120" sheet stock.

Best regards, Ray H

----------
> From: skronaldd <skronaldd@...>
> To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
> Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: plasma cutter
> Date: Saturday, January 12, 2002 11:43 AM
>
> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "turksfixit" <turksfixit@h...> wrote:
> > Has anyone built a plasma cutter. Not the cnc part but the plasma
> > cuter part. It seems like it should be some what just an
> electrical
> > projet. However I can't seem to find much about the interals of a
> > plasma cutter. Any ideas or links would be nice. Thanks Turk

<snip>

Discussion Thread

Dale Smith 2002-01-13 10:15:25 UTC Plasma Cutter Info Ian Wright 2002-01-13 17:02:13 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Plasma Cutter Info Chris L 2002-01-13 18:53:10 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Plasma Cutter Info cadcamcenter 2002-01-14 20:22:16 UTC Re: Plasma Cutter Info Chris L 2002-01-14 20:54:12 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Plasma Cutter Info