CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: the open source 'thing'

Posted by Chris L
on 2002-01-26 16:59:32 UTC
Hey Paul,

Your list looks like mine would look.......Based on your list, I am hoping that
the New Upcoming FlashCut is going to fill that zone for me.

I am not into the nitty gritty of controlling the world with my PC, I just want
to make parts as best I can get my machine to do so. (darn it Jim, I'm a
machinist, NOT a programmer!)

To do that, What ever control is running it has to be smooth and do everything
necessary a typical machine does. Not necessarily the smoothest that money can
buy, just the smoothest I can afford! If it works right, I do not need source
code.

I have a really good example of why I would prefer to stick with a Windows Based
Control. About six months ago, I put off a good sized run of pieces until the
last minute. I get over to my Control Computer and it was froze up and wacky
looking (it's on all the time). So I shut it down and restarted it. It failed to
boot. The Video Card gave up !
I knew it was acting up as it took a few reboots once in a while. thats why I
had been leaving it on.

Sure, I look around for a PCI Video Card but all I had was a really old ISA
(foot and a half long model) and a handful of AGP's. So, no luck there. But, I
do have a couple of running computers with Win95/98 on them. I simply ran a
long Serial cable over to the other computer, plugged it in and loaded FlashCut.
Stuck my machine setups in there from backup on a different drive and I was
running. Took all of about 20 minutes.

Heck, I could have all of my computers quit and borrow the neighbors if need be,
everybodys got one !\

Chris L