CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: TurboCAM ? Autosketch....?

Posted by bwrfromuk
on 2002-05-28 10:51:50 UTC
John,

Couldn't agree with you more. I've been with ACad since V1.4,
fluency with any CAD program is a major investment in time. I
presently use V14; one of best investments I made was a second video
card and monitor so I have a clear drawing monitor and the other has
the command history, calculator and misc.

Regards,

Bernard R

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "stevenson_engineers" <machines@n...>
wrote:
> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., Chris L <datac@l...> wrote:
> > I settled in much better with Version 7 of sketch thanks the
> >the "auto snap points" V6 did not have.
> >
> > I spent some time at the shop with AutoCadLt and had no use for
its
> >methods. That's because I spent much more time in Ashlars
> >old "drawing Board" version simply because it was hands down
faster
> >and
> > more intuative to use than A-CadLt. To this day I would love to
> >buy a newer version of Ashlar Vellum becuase It probably still
> >outdoes the rest.
> >
> > {Long but relevant post snipped }
>
> Thanks Chris,
> Good post.
>
> Problem with a change over in CAD systems is the 3 L syndrome.
> Learning curve, legacy files and lazyness.
> Unless someone or some company has really pissed you off most
people
> stick with what they have because of these three reasons.
> Sometimes though it may pay to look at how you work regardless of
> program, see what's out there that can make your life easier and if
> nessesary make the change.
> Chris came up with a very valid point about snaps. These can really
> save hours, more to the point if that file is going to be used by a
> cam system then it has to be accurate. ALL corners, intersections
etc
> must join exactly.
> Just my take on it but things that really speed up drawings are:-
> [1] Snap points and the ability to define the keystokes for them to
> suit the user.
> [2] Extra snap points like perpendicular, parallel, tangent to and
> bearing angle. I know a lot of these are commands inside the
programs
> but it's nice and quick to snap to points and associated commands
> with one key stroke.
> [3] Command line input, This means you type in your command or
> shortcut for this. Generic Cadd was the first with this. All
commands
> were defined by two letters. Many program still expect you to drag
> menu open , select a sub menu, then the comand. Some have floating
> toolbars to do the same. You still have to move off the drawing,
> across the screen, select the command and go back to where you
were.
> Added frustration is that the floating toolbars always float where
> you don't need them. Turbocad is especially good at this. They have
> been asked from version 3 to put in a command line but we are on V8
> now and it's still drag and click, - very time wasting.
> Also for fixed point moves ie a line that need's to be 4.544" long
> has to be typed into a box that is across the other side of the
> screen. Then you have to go to another box to type in the angle.
> More wasted time when a simple command typed in without any mouse
> click of 4.544>30.0 will do exactly the same job.
> [...]

Discussion Thread

RC 2002-05-27 17:31:26 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: TurboCAM ? Autosketch....? Chris L 2002-05-27 20:40:57 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: TurboCAM ? Autosketch....? Tony Jeffree 2002-05-28 05:24:19 UTC Re: TurboCAM ? Autosketch....? stevenson_engineers 2002-05-28 05:28:48 UTC Re: TurboCAM ? Autosketch....? bwrfromuk 2002-05-28 10:51:50 UTC Re: TurboCAM ? Autosketch....? RC 2002-05-28 12:24:43 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: TurboCAM ? Autosketch....? Chris L 2002-05-28 15:56:09 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: TurboCAM ? Autosketch....? Chris L 2002-05-28 16:02:33 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: TurboCAM ? Autosketch....? jim davies 2002-05-28 20:17:49 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: TurboCAM ? Autosketch....? Chris L 2002-05-29 00:36:38 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: TurboCAM ? Autosketch....?