CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: TurboCAM ? Autosketch....?

Posted by Chris L
on 2002-05-28 15:56:09 UTC
I guess that is where I goofed up.....

You see, my very first Cad program was Ashlar. I was teethed on the NON command line methods. I have absolutely no use for any command line taking up space on the screen either.

In the version I had, ALL snaps were on All the time. This was not a problem because for some reason, when it came to snapping to an entity, you'd paractically swear the program read you r mind as
to which entity you wanted. Their Pixel area setting was exceelent.

This is where Autosketch actually came very close to Ashlar when Sketch7 allowed you to have "default snaps", a >set< of snaps that can be turned on or off, OR, select any one snap with a single
key. The only item that I miss from Ashlar is "auto Ortho" and its technique for finding locations with a simple "mouse over". Sketch comes very close however by selecting vertical or horizontal and
then tagging the location you want to go to. Hard to explain. I do know it would be a pain turning on and off snap points for every line or entity I wanted to place. That's where the Autosnap works
great. Version 6 did not allow you to have a default set.
Well, one more thing I miss is the actual "Export" of a file rather than dumpy old "save as".

In regards tools.... Autocad Lt has a billion of possible tool buttons, Autosketch has at least half a billion. At least you can configure them how ever you want. That is a plus. My old Ashlar has
ONLY 12 buttons on the left side. They do expand to the right to display similar tools. There are no tools missing ! The use of the Ctrl, shift and alt key can make differences in how a tool works
for example you can grab one "trim" tool and use it many different ways just by holding a key down.

I have come across two individuals who know both Autocad and Ashlar. They both indicated that anyone familiar with Ashlar would likely outdraw a seasoned Autocad user on any given mechanical part.
Some of the fellows I worked with were long time Autocad users from the DOS days. Even as a rookie, I could deliver a part on paper before them on many occasions.

Why don't I buy Ashlar now ? Well, I am headed that way for sure.. I've used Cadkey, Turbocad, Surfcam Cad (like cadkey) Sketch 5,6,7, ( I wont update to v8 as they could even fix problems that
existed since 6 - Line widths anyone ?) Intellicad, AutoCadLt 97,98, VectorCad, Drawing board, and a few of the other freebies on the web.

Seeing as how nothing has come close to Ashlars stuff, and AutoSketches future looks gloomy (just visit its newsgroup and look back to when v8 was released) It looks like I should just get the
wallet out and spend the money. Good stuff doesn't come cheap I guess.

Chris L

bwrfromuk wrote:

> John,
>
> Couldn't agree with you more. I've been with ACad since V1.4,
> fluency with any CAD program is a major investment in time. I
> presently use V14; one of best investments I made was a second video
> card and monitor so I have a clear drawing monitor and the other has
> the command history, calculator and misc.
>
> Regards,
>
> Bernard R

Discussion Thread

RC 2002-05-27 17:31:26 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: TurboCAM ? Autosketch....? Chris L 2002-05-27 20:40:57 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: TurboCAM ? Autosketch....? Tony Jeffree 2002-05-28 05:24:19 UTC Re: TurboCAM ? Autosketch....? stevenson_engineers 2002-05-28 05:28:48 UTC Re: TurboCAM ? Autosketch....? bwrfromuk 2002-05-28 10:51:50 UTC Re: TurboCAM ? Autosketch....? RC 2002-05-28 12:24:43 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: TurboCAM ? Autosketch....? Chris L 2002-05-28 15:56:09 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: TurboCAM ? Autosketch....? Chris L 2002-05-28 16:02:33 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: TurboCAM ? Autosketch....? jim davies 2002-05-28 20:17:49 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: TurboCAM ? Autosketch....? Chris L 2002-05-29 00:36:38 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: TurboCAM ? Autosketch....?