CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: TurboCAM ? Autosketch....?

on 2002-05-28 05:28:48 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., Chris L <datac@l...> wrote:
> I settled in much better with Version 7 of sketch thanks the
>the "auto snap points" V6 did not have.
>
> I spent some time at the shop with AutoCadLt and had no use for its
>methods. That's because I spent much more time in Ashlars
>old "drawing Board" version simply because it was hands down faster
>and
> more intuative to use than A-CadLt. To this day I would love to
>buy a newer version of Ashlar Vellum becuase It probably still
>outdoes the rest.
>
> {Long but relevant post snipped }

Thanks Chris,
Good post.

Problem with a change over in CAD systems is the 3 L syndrome.
Learning curve, legacy files and lazyness.
Unless someone or some company has really pissed you off most people
stick with what they have because of these three reasons.
Sometimes though it may pay to look at how you work regardless of
program, see what's out there that can make your life easier and if
nessesary make the change.
Chris came up with a very valid point about snaps. These can really
save hours, more to the point if that file is going to be used by a
cam system then it has to be accurate. ALL corners, intersections etc
must join exactly.
Just my take on it but things that really speed up drawings are:-
[1] Snap points and the ability to define the keystokes for them to
suit the user.
[2] Extra snap points like perpendicular, parallel, tangent to and
bearing angle. I know a lot of these are commands inside the programs
but it's nice and quick to snap to points and associated commands
with one key stroke.
[3] Command line input, This means you type in your command or
shortcut for this. Generic Cadd was the first with this. All commands
were defined by two letters. Many program still expect you to drag a
menu open , select a sub menu, then the comand. Some have floating
toolbars to do the same. You still have to move off the drawing,
across the screen, select the command and go back to where you were.
Added frustration is that the floating toolbars always float where
you don't need them. Turbocad is especially good at this. They have
been asked from version 3 to put in a command line but we are on V8
now and it's still drag and click, - very time wasting.
Also for fixed point moves ie a line that need's to be 4.544" long
has to be typed into a box that is across the other side of the
screen. Then you have to go to another box to type in the angle.
More wasted time when a simple command typed in without any mouse
click of 4.544>30.0 will do exactly the same job.
[4] The facilty to work with the maximum amount of screen space. No
silly icons all over, no nested menu's four or five deep. A lot of
programs have the facility to show two screens or even up to four
views of the drawing. Not a lot of good if you are looking through
the hanging gardens of Babylon.

John S.

Discussion Thread

RC 2002-05-27 17:31:26 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: TurboCAM ? Autosketch....? Chris L 2002-05-27 20:40:57 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: TurboCAM ? Autosketch....? Tony Jeffree 2002-05-28 05:24:19 UTC Re: TurboCAM ? Autosketch....? stevenson_engineers 2002-05-28 05:28:48 UTC Re: TurboCAM ? Autosketch....? bwrfromuk 2002-05-28 10:51:50 UTC Re: TurboCAM ? Autosketch....? RC 2002-05-28 12:24:43 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: TurboCAM ? Autosketch....? Chris L 2002-05-28 15:56:09 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: TurboCAM ? Autosketch....? Chris L 2002-05-28 16:02:33 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: TurboCAM ? Autosketch....? jim davies 2002-05-28 20:17:49 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: TurboCAM ? Autosketch....? Chris L 2002-05-29 00:36:38 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: TurboCAM ? Autosketch....?