CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: AHHA pro vs. Deskam

Posted by Chris L
on 2002-07-22 20:18:43 UTC
stevenson_engineers wrote:

> (snip)There is Deskam
> as you have mentioned, Flashcut and that is about your lot. Neither
> of these come close to Ahha in features and parameters.

Hey John....Patience Laddy...... That was then ! -- FlashCut V2 WILL not only come "close", but I think it will easily *outdo* the rest of them. I'll give a full report when the time comes :-) (and
it's close!)

Many of you may recall that I ran Ah-Ha for some time, but had to ditch it for something that had better continuous contouring. I had it on a Router and it was way too slow thru short line segments.
I would never say it was not robust.... If it was anything, it was indeed very stable, trustworthy and predictable. One can certainly control a lot of extras with all of that I/O. I guess I could
see it on a milling machine.... but then again it's DOS .... :-( yuch.

Windows based FlashCut CNC was my replacement, and I have not looked back. Flashcut has also been very reliable and robust for me. Sure, there are a few shortcomings like diameter comp. and feedrate
override in the old 16 bit version, and a bit fewer I/O options, but nothing that stood in my way for a typical router. Their latest chip upgrade increased step output by two thirds and that pretty
much put to rest those who could not go fast enough. The joy and convenience of easy networking, as well as the ability to run your favorite windows based toolpath editor is well worth giving up DOS
in my opinion. The screams of "Windows can't work" have been dying down this year, thanks to all of the developers who have shown that Windows can and does work.

In regards the upcoming 32 bit version of Flashcut... From what I have seen, it WILL outrun the rest in features and parameters. And, all new ground up programming has allowed for a much better base
for contouring routines and all of those previously missing features. (many do not realize that continuous contouring was not part of the original 16bit program, but brilliantly "wedged" into
existing code-and it's not too bad !) All of the "missing" things clearly have been addressed. Laser, waterjet, punchpress, router, plasma, mill.... looks like just about anything will benefit from
this control !

Unfortunately, I have not had a chance to use DesKam..... It sure looks affordable. I do not know what that means.

I've used Freeware Controls, Ah-Ha, Indexer, MicroKinetics, Jala, K-Cam, Larken... and tried\played many others. Some of the "works in progress" I have examined out there >could< turn into
something, that's for sure. One just doesn't know when. And then there is also the common occourence when some of the "works in progress" controls "peter out", never to be realized.

As I recall, some in this group were writing controls... How are those coming along ? i think it is a pretty big job to do it right.

Looking back on how I went about finding a control I've liked, and I mean Really Liked.... FlashCut is the one I've been happiest with, and it's only getting better. I could have saved some time and
money if I tried FC first !

Last I heard, FlashCut was offering free upgrades to Version 2 even if you bought it now with their ultra dependable 16 bit version. Sound like a bargain to me.

Chris L