CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Vector Demo or Tutorial

Posted by Dan Statman
on 2002-10-12 13:34:15 UTC
I would say that me not knowing how to use it, makes it hard to use. I do
not mean this in the trivial sense, obviously if I hadn't invested any time
in the tutorial and also in several drawings that I have done, it would
certainly be a difficult program for anybody to use out of the box. I have
done many things with Vector, and I appreciate the fact that it can do some
amazingly complex things. I just find the simple things non-intuitive, and
difficult to learn. I am not speaking from AutoCAD experience and I cannot
seem to put another program out of my mind. I am speaking form a first time
CAD/CAM package user, and it is difficult to learn the program by yourself
with manual that ships with the disk.

Here is an example of the type of thing I would like to do: Draw a simple
line drawing of a classic pretzel shape. The dimensions are: 0.250" height
(Y-dir) and a length (X-dir) that makes the aspect ratio for a pretzel
reasonably accurate. In other words, I do not really care what the
dimension of the length is. I would like the line width to be 0.03125" and
where the lines intersect, one of them should break and appear to go under
the other. the break should leave 0.03125" on each side of the continuous
line. Also at the bottom ends of the pretzel the starting and ending
segments should overlap the body in the same method as the center
intersection.

I do not need this picture for anything, but this is the type of stuff I
want to do. How do you go about doing this in an efficient manner. I can
do it, but I feel like I am just hacking away at it. After we get a
reasonable picture drawn, then I need some help with the CAM side of things.

Thanks,

Daniel J. Statman, Statman Designs
www.statmandesigns.com
dan.statman@...