CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: My CAD CAM evaluations

Posted by echnidna
on 2002-12-03 17:10:54 UTC
Thank you for an objective,informative and helpful review

Regards
Bob Thomas

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "deansala" <adsala@p...> wrote:
> I just want to share some of the research that I have done so far in
> the search of a CAD CAM package. I have a Shoptask retrofit with
> CNCPRO as the NC (Mach1 is in my future). I am not a professional
> just a hobbyist. The kind of CAD CAM requirements that I have been
> looking for are at least 3d. 4th axis and lathe abilities are also
> desirable. My test criteria was to see how easy it would be to draw
> and make tool paths for a simple "dish" with a 2 inch diameter either
> parabolic, sphericle or whatever.
>
> Here are my oppinions after trying to make a dish with the listed
> CAM/CAM packages. Note these are the demo versions.
>
> POWERSTATION
> price: quoted $1495 for the whole package
> comments:
> I found powerstation very hard to use. It's windows interface is not
> very user friendly. I write GUI's for a living and I found that
> powerstation did not adhere to windows guidlines.
>
> BOBCAD
> price: qouted $495 for version 18 they are desparate
> comments:
> I found Bobcad very hard to use. I tried the tutorials and only got
> one of them to work. The modify mode is a joke. I actually found a
> Bobcad tutorial that makes a dish and it did not work! I must have
> spent 30 hours with Bobcad getting nowhere so I removed it from my
> computer.
>
> VECTOR32
> price: quoted $795 for the nerbs version
> Very much like Bobcad with a few bells and whistles. The support is
> better. The tutorials are better laid out and there are alot of them
> but very difficult to get them to work. After 4 hours no dish.
>
> Capsmill
> price: expensive
> When I started playing around with capsmill I found that it worked
> much like the above programs so I did'nt waste too much time with
> it. A very annoying dialog box pops up for every entity drawn asking
> for coordinates. Can't it just let my mouse move it first then let
> me refine the coordinates later! NO!
>

> The four above mentioned programs above are not typical drawing
> programs. You almost need graph paper and pencil next to you with a
> sketched part on it to see the coordinates. They are probably
> perfect for reverse engineering where you want to copy an existing
> part. Importing drawings may work. But I had problems importing too.
> These programs must be for a different breed of machinist. All that
> I can figure is that these programs were originally made for DOS in
> the early 80's. When the mouse was invented computer drawing took on
> a whole new light that these programs have not come up to speed with.
>

> I wanted something much easier to use so I can get going on my
> projects. Heres is what I liked.
>
> TURBOCADCAM
> price: $495 I purchased this.
> comments: I like this program. I was able to make a dish and a
> hemishpere. The tutorials work! You can drag, manipulate, resize,
> [...]

Discussion Thread

deansala 2002-12-03 15:47:12 UTC My CAD CAM evaluations echnidna 2002-12-03 17:10:54 UTC Re: My CAD CAM evaluations Peter 2002-12-03 18:21:15 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] My CAD CAM evaluations Andrew Werby 2002-12-03 22:32:51 UTC My CAD CAM evaluations Larry Edington 2002-12-03 23:37:43 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] My CAD CAM evaluations Bob Simon 2002-12-04 06:21:16 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] My CAD CAM evaluations vrsculptor 2002-12-04 08:45:26 UTC Re: My CAD CAM evaluations (Dolphin=Sprutcam?) pressgocnc 2002-12-04 08:47:37 UTC Re: My CAD CAM evaluations IMService 2002-12-04 09:14:25 UTC Re: My CAD CAM evaluations CL 2002-12-04 11:09:42 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] My CAD CAM evaluations pressgocnc 2002-12-04 12:25:56 UTC Re: My CAD CAM evaluations Alan Trest 2002-12-04 12:36:41 UTC Re: My CAD CAM evaluations/ more questions Askew, Jason 2002-12-04 13:43:11 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] My CAD CAM evaluations stevenson_engineers 2002-12-04 15:10:20 UTC Re: My CAD CAM evaluations Michael 2002-12-04 18:07:52 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: My CAD CAM evaluations/ more questions Alan Trest 2002-12-04 19:38:28 UTC Re: My CAD CAM evaluations/ more questions Chris L 2002-12-04 21:34:53 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: My CAD CAM evaluations pressgocnc 2002-12-04 22:12:55 UTC Re: My CAD CAM evaluations Chris L 2002-12-04 22:42:30 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: My CAD CAM evaluations Bill Vance 2002-12-05 10:07:32 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: My CAD CAM evaluations Chris L 2002-12-05 19:59:35 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: My CAD CAM evaluations Bill Vance 2002-12-06 00:26:36 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: My CAD CAM evaluations