CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: making a digitizer probe

on 2003-02-20 08:43:56 UTC
Hi Ballendo, All -

I reposted the file of the digitizer I modeled way back when...
It's in the FILES section:
why it fell off.

Regards,

Carlos Guillermo
VERVE Engineering & Design

-----Original Message-----
From: ballendo <ballendo@...> [mailto:ballendo@...]
Sent: Thursday, February 20, 2003 11:13 AM
To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: making a digitizer probe

Graham,

This had been discussed many times before. If you search the group
archive on digitiser, and digitizer; you will have lots to read.

There was an excellent rendered model of a very "buildable"
digitiser
based on the renishaw patent (now expired) in our files section. I
looked for it recently, and could not find it.

Basically, you have a non-conductive center shaft, to which the
probe
tip threads. Then, you have three radial arms, 120 degrees apart,
projecting at right angles to this center shaft. At the top of the
center shaft, there is a "tit" to keep a spring centered;more in a
moment.

Now the body of the probe is again non-conductive rod, with a
hollowed out portion near the top of a size to accomodate the
three
arms, and a through hole for the center shaft (with the probe tip
hanging below). The three arms will sit on 6 ball bearings (which
sit
in drilled recesses of the probe body), arranged in pairs to
support
each arm; preferably with a 45 degree point of contact. A suitably
shaped pcb (with coutouts for the arms, and electrical traces
connecting the 6 balls such that they form a series circuit when
the
arms are lying upoon them) makes contact with the balls AND serves
hold them in place. Now close it up with a top body part which
mounts
to your spindle, and remember to put that very light spring in
before
closing it all up.<G>

The radial arms will tend to self center, and this design allows
for
overtravel. It works in all three directions at once. Renishaw
made
MILLIONS of dollars fgrom this design. It has one bad feature
(well,
several, but one that bears mentioning). Which is, the force to
actuate is nopt the same in all directions, due to the arrangement
of
the arms;i.e., if you are ON-axis with an arm it will
trigger "harder" one direction, and "easier" the opposite
direction,
with varying degrees as the approach dir changes... BUT, the
activation POINT will be the same, which is what really matters.

You can look up digitising probe at the us patent office website
and
see pictures of this design (If Tim or another moderator cannot
find
the file that was in the group archive (I think it was Marios', or
Carlos' drawing)

Last year at Westec, I talked with a gentleman who tried to
describe
his companies alternative to me (a better mousetrap, so to speak;
which soled the above problems). He was supposed to send me a
drawing, but never did. It was based on a disc and a cone shaped
recess in the body...

Hope this helps,

Ballendo

P.S. I have developed a design for this and would like to partner
with someone to put it on the market for hobbyists. Any interested
persons please contact me offlist. Also some other cnc projects.
Business experience is more important to me than cnc experience.

Discussion Thread

Graham Stabler <eexgs@n... 2003-02-20 04:15:15 UTC making a digitizer probe turbulatordude <davemucha@j... 2003-02-20 05:36:16 UTC Re: making a digitizer probe Graham Stabler <eexgs@n... 2003-02-20 05:50:12 UTC Re: making a digitizer probe Hoyt McKagen 2003-02-20 07:19:53 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: making a digitizer probe ballendo <ballendo@y... 2003-02-20 08:12:40 UTC Re: making a digitizer probe Carlos Guillermo 2003-02-20 08:43:56 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: making a digitizer probe Alan Marconett KM6VV 2003-02-20 10:53:24 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] making a digitizer probe Graham Stabler <eexgs@n... 2003-02-20 12:43:05 UTC Re: making a digitizer probe dvideohd <jrobinson46@c... 2003-02-23 16:50:48 UTC Re: making a digitizer probe