CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: fickle y-axis

Posted by forumtvm
on 2003-03-17 01:58:02 UTC
Thanks Jeff,

Very clearly explained.

A1-B-A2-B-A3-B-A4-B-A5-B
------X--------------

A1-B-A2-B-A3-B-A4-B-A5-B
-----------X----------

A1-B-A2-B-A3-B-A4-B-A5-B
----------------X------

Momentum causes rotor to bypass B and fly all the way to the next A
coil. Just a little bit more for complete understanding. Starting
from A2, How would starting a cycle cause the rotor X to go to A1
instead?

Thanks

Peter

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "jeffalanp" <xylotex@h...>
wrote:
> Hi Peter,
> Why a stepper can turn with only one phase hooked up.
> Have you ever seen those old cartoons where two guys (A & B) are
> on the railroad tracks with one of those hand pump types of cars?
> The two take turns pushing down on the lever, first A pushes down
> (while B's handle goes up), then the B pushes down (while A's
handle
> goes up). The two phase of your stepper motor are kind of like
that
> (in full step mode). Now if one if the people (B for example),
isn't
> there, you'll have half the power, but as long as A's handle wasn't
> all of the way down, he can start some motion by pushing down on
his
> handle. If he pushes enough so that his handle, after reaching the
> bottom, will cycle all of the way to the top, he can start a full
> cycle by pushing down again. As long as each down stroke provides
> enough power so that momentum will carry the handle back to the
top,
> he can continue pushing, and moving the car. Your stepper can move
> similarly, as long as there is enough momentum to get the rotor to
> the next cycle.
>
> The direction your stepper takes with only a single phase attached
> will be pretty much arbitrary though. (If you've ever seen an old
> foot-powered treddle sewing machine, the pricnciple is also
> similar).
>
> I hope that helps a little.
>
> Jeff
> http://www.xylotex.com
>

> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "forumtvm" <forumtvm@y...>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Did some detective work - tried swapping motor cables around.
> Turned
> > out that the problem followed the "y-axis" cable. One of the wire
> was
> > loose, in fact, eventually broked loose from the soldered pin.
> > Changing to a new cable solved the problem.
> >
> > However, I am puzzled as to how a bad cable can lead to erratic
> > behaviour, that is when a movement in the positive direction is
> > commanded, sometimes it move in the positive direction, and
> sometimes
> > in the negative. How would a motor behave if, say phase A wires
are
> > OK but phase B connection is bad/broken. Would this cause the
motor
> > to move in the opposite direction to that commanded?
> >
> > Am more interested in understanding the problem than in getting
the
> > problem solved. Hope someone smarter than me will explain.
> >
> > Puzzled.
> >

> > --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "forumtvm"
<forumtvm@y...>
> > wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Using DeskWinNC, Camtronics 2A driver, 33VDC power supply, I
> [...]

Discussion Thread

forumtvm 2003-03-15 05:10:25 UTC fickle y-axis forumtvm 2003-03-16 22:01:10 UTC Re: fickle y-axis jeffalanp 2003-03-17 00:29:25 UTC Re: fickle y-axis forumtvm 2003-03-17 01:58:02 UTC Re: fickle y-axis forumtvm 2003-03-17 10:32:45 UTC Re: fickle y-axis jeffalanp 2003-03-17 11:47:04 UTC Re: fickle y-axis forumtvm 2003-03-17 13:57:45 UTC Re: fickle y-axis forumtvm 2003-03-17 15:27:16 UTC Re: fickle y-axis jeffalanp 2003-03-17 15:32:28 UTC Re: fickle y-axis Mariss Freimanis 2003-03-17 15:58:03 UTC Re: fickle y-axis jeffalanp 2003-03-17 15:59:45 UTC Re: fickle y-axis forumtvm 2003-03-17 20:48:40 UTC Re: fickle y-axis forumtvm 2003-03-17 21:06:36 UTC Re: fickle y-axis Mariss Freimanis 2003-03-17 21:47:41 UTC Re: fickle y-axis Mariss Freimanis 2003-03-17 22:01:38 UTC Re: fickle y-axis jeffalanp 2003-03-18 09:47:31 UTC Re: fickle y-axis forumtvm 2003-03-18 11:44:09 UTC Re: fickle y-axis jeffalanp 2003-03-18 12:19:14 UTC Re: fickle y-axis forumtvm 2003-03-18 12:53:08 UTC Re: fickle y-axis