CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: fickle y-axis

Posted by jeffalanp
on 2003-03-17 11:47:04 UTC
Hi Peter,

Assume the NNN and SSS below are the A phase coils (no B phase), and
the S and N are permanent magnets on the rotor (this would be an
example of a two-step motor rather than 200).

NNN

SSS

Now, switch the polarity of NNN and SSS. The rotor will want to turn
to match up again. Which way will the top 'S' go, clockwise, or
counter clockwise? Who's to say? If the 'S' is a little closer to
the clockwise position before swaping polarity (due to a little
maechanical torque from a ballcrew, or because of momentum in that
direction, then it will go clockwise. The same is true for counter
clockwiese. An example: Put your foot on a tricycle pedal (while
standing directly over it) that is all the way at the top and push
down. Which direction will it go, forwards or backwards? Who's to
say? But if you are already pedaling you know. A stepper motor
without one of the phases is like trying to ride a tricycle with only
one pedal. Once you get going (forwards or backwards) all you need
to do is to keep adding power, the momentum will carry the pedal to
the proper position so you can add more power in the next stroke.
That's where the momentum comes in.
From a standstill, when you start giving pulses to the stepper,
momentarily, the A phase will go off when the missing B is
energized. Since there is no B, the rotor is then under external
mechanical influence only (torque from the ballscrew etc.) This can
be enough to move the rotor to one side or another. When A is
energized again, it can now have a prefernece on which direction to
move (the shortest route to get to where is wants to go). That can
start the momentum going.

Jeff
http://www.xylotex.com

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "forumtvm" <forumtvm@y...>

<xylotex@h...>
> > wrote:
> > > Hi Peter,
> > > Why a stepper can turn with only one phase hooked up.
> > > Have you ever seen those old cartoons where two guys (A & B)
> are
> > > on the railroad tracks with one of those hand pump types of
> cars?
> > > The two take turns pushing down on the lever, first A pushes
down
> > > (while B's handle goes up), then the B pushes down (while A's
> > handle
> > > goes up). The two phase of your stepper motor are kind of
like
> > that
> > > (in full step mode). Now if one if the people (B for example),
> > isn't
> > > there, you'll have half the power, but as long as A's handle
> wasn't
> > > all of the way down, he can start some motion by pushing down
on
> > his
> > > handle. If he pushes enough so that his handle, after reaching
> the
> > > bottom, will cycle all of the way to the top, he can start a
full
> > > cycle by pushing down again. As long as each down stroke
> provides
> > > enough power so that momentum will carry the handle back to the
> > top,
> > > he can continue pushing, and moving the car. Your stepper can
> move
> > > similarly, as long as there is enough momentum to get the rotor
> > > the next cycle.
> > >
> > > The direction your stepper takes with only a single phase
> attached
> > > will be pretty much arbitrary though. (If you've ever seen an
> old
> > > foot-powered treddle sewing machine, the pricnciple is also
> > > similar).
> > >
> > > I hope that helps a little.
> > >
> > > Jeff
> > > http://www.xylotex.com
> > >

> > > --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "forumtvm"
> <forumtvm@y...>

> > > Turned
> wire
> > > was

> > > sometimes
> > are
> > motor

> > the

> > <forumtvm@y...>

> > was

> DeskCNC
> from
> > > the

> could
> off,
> make
> > > up
> is
> forward,

> can
> > parallel

> looking

> > system

Discussion Thread

forumtvm 2003-03-15 05:10:25 UTC fickle y-axis forumtvm 2003-03-16 22:01:10 UTC Re: fickle y-axis jeffalanp 2003-03-17 00:29:25 UTC Re: fickle y-axis forumtvm 2003-03-17 01:58:02 UTC Re: fickle y-axis forumtvm 2003-03-17 10:32:45 UTC Re: fickle y-axis jeffalanp 2003-03-17 11:47:04 UTC Re: fickle y-axis forumtvm 2003-03-17 13:57:45 UTC Re: fickle y-axis forumtvm 2003-03-17 15:27:16 UTC Re: fickle y-axis jeffalanp 2003-03-17 15:32:28 UTC Re: fickle y-axis Mariss Freimanis 2003-03-17 15:58:03 UTC Re: fickle y-axis jeffalanp 2003-03-17 15:59:45 UTC Re: fickle y-axis forumtvm 2003-03-17 20:48:40 UTC Re: fickle y-axis forumtvm 2003-03-17 21:06:36 UTC Re: fickle y-axis Mariss Freimanis 2003-03-17 21:47:41 UTC Re: fickle y-axis Mariss Freimanis 2003-03-17 22:01:38 UTC Re: fickle y-axis jeffalanp 2003-03-18 09:47:31 UTC Re: fickle y-axis forumtvm 2003-03-18 11:44:09 UTC Re: fickle y-axis jeffalanp 2003-03-18 12:19:14 UTC Re: fickle y-axis forumtvm 2003-03-18 12:53:08 UTC Re: fickle y-axis