CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: creating toolpath..

Posted by Fred Smith
on 2003-05-18 14:10:02 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Jens Swales"
<jipeess2000@y...> wrote:

> i need to find out a conveniant way to create toolpaths for hi-
gloss
> polishing of glass and marble/granite surfaces (common size is
>
> 1st rough miller diamond/nickel grit 60, could be any pattern, it
> just removes the stock

Standard pocketing in any CAM program should work for this. Is the
surface flat or curved, that is, a flat plane or a 3D carving?

> 2nd pre-shaper diamond/nickel grit 120, zig-zag passes to remove
> previous scratches

This is slab milling, and again is fairly simple.

> 3rd grinder diamond/resinbond grit 100, removes previous scratches
in
> a tight spiralshape toolpath

This is where language is really important. You have a rectangular
perimeter, you CANNOT clean it with a spiral that does not have
recuts or interrupted cuts. Many pocketing routines will contour
parallel cut so that each successive pass is more and more like the
outer contour, and then make a move between the successive rings. I
don't think this is what you want, as the movement between rings
would leave a mark.

With Vector you can create a clean circle toolpath and use
successively larger and end connected arcs to clean from the center
out or the outside in. This will make a very compact toolpath and
may work for you. The pattern is round however and may leave some
aircutting as the corners are finished.

> 4rd grinder diamond/resinbond grit 200, removes previous scratches
in
> a less tight spiralshape toolpath

Use the same processing as #3.

> 5th-8th, 500-3000 grit in a random pattern

This can be interesting. You might try a cross hatch pattern with
symmetrical and 90 degrees rotated zigzags. Again Vector can
directly cut hatching and would help you create this kind of
toolpath.

You could also define a snaking toolpath and snap-paste a multitude
of arcs along the path, connect the arcs and you have an English
wheel kind of pattern.

Vector can also project any of these patterns onto a complex 3D
curved surface if your project is not flat.

> it would be sooo easy to just draw my square and hit a key that
> generates the code with all the different tools pre-stored paths
and
> parameters..

With the Vector Macro Tool Bar(free), you can define the methods you
want to use, have it request any changing parameters that you wanted,
such as step overs, etc, perform all the calculations and generate
the program complete with no additional editing or having to remember
the process from one part to the next. The programming is very
simple to learn and use, even Shopbotters like it. (I'm sure I'll
hear about this comment, all in fun guys)

In fact it will also draw the square for you if you want. ;-)

Best Regards, Fred Smith- IMService

Listserve Special discounts and offers are at:
http://www.imsrv.com/hobby/grp.html

We are THE source for low cost Cad Cam

Discussion Thread

Jens Swales 2003-05-18 11:56:07 UTC creating toolpath.. Tim Goldstein 2003-05-18 12:21:36 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] creating toolpath.. stevenson_engineers 2003-05-18 12:39:04 UTC Re: creating toolpath.. Fred Smith 2003-05-18 14:10:02 UTC Re: creating toolpath.. Tim Goldstein 2003-05-18 14:14:40 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: creating toolpath.. Indy123456 2003-05-18 14:46:45 UTC Re: creating toolpath.. Mark Thomas 2003-05-18 15:11:49 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: creating toolpath.. stevenson_engineers 2003-05-18 16:03:35 UTC Re: creating toolpath.. CL 2003-05-18 19:26:39 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: creating toolpath.. Tim Goldstein 2003-05-18 19:32:41 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: creating toolpath.. CL 2003-05-18 20:17:36 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: creating toolpath.. stevenson_engineers 2003-05-19 01:31:02 UTC Re: creating toolpath.. rainnea 2003-05-19 02:02:46 UTC Re: creating toolpath..