CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: wooden table for a router

on 2003-07-15 05:48:25 UTC
Hi everybody,
I've seen many router's parts from machined massive aluminum plates.
This gave me an idea: There are tables from "pertinax" (intended for
ceramic
fuses montage), or "textolyte" (textile impregnated with something, intended
for
mechanical parts, such as gear wheel).
Does anybody have experience or opinion about this materials?
Peja

-----Original Message-----
From: turbulatordude [mailto:davemucha@...]
Sent: Monday, July 14, 2003 4:24 PM
To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: wooden table for a router

Thanks,

For a desk-top routers, I am sure that wood will work great. my PCB
drilling machine is MDF and does not have any side loads like a
router would have.

I seem to remember Les Watts mentioning his machine has something on
the order of a few thousand pounds of side loading capability. seems
a dull router bit on hardwood would test the strength of many
machines.

I'm thinking that a wooden table of roughly 10 ft by 6 feet would
have potential warping problems with humidity as well as concerns
about rocking from repeated accel and decell of the gantry.

Dave

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Charles Knight <charles@i...>
wrote:

> >I friend was amazed at my CNC stuff and since he is a carpenter,
he
> >asked if I could make him one.
> >
> >I told him that a steel table is $$$ and he asked if anybody uses
> >wood for the tables ?
> >

> It's not yet done, but this is my new "hardware store"
machine...it's
> mostly MDF, but built with U channel construction. It's STIFF!
Flex

http://www.cnczone.com
> in the "homebuilt wood routers" section. Lots of good ideas,
there, for
> people on a budget.
>
> The secret is going to be making it sufficiently stiff...not too
hard,
> if you use proper construction. Remember...wood is a reinforced
> composite material, not terribly unlike fiberglass or carbon fiber.
> *Use* it to your advantage! Keeping a 4x8' table stiff may be a
> challenge, but it's definitely an achievable goal.
>
> -- Chuck Knight

Addresses:
Post Messages: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com

timg@...
Moderator: pentam@... indigo_red@... [Moderators]

OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
If you wish to post on unlimited OT subjects goto:
you have trouble.

NOTICE: ALL POSTINGS TO THIS GROUP BECOME PUBLIC DOMAIN BY POSTING THEM.
bill
List Mom
List Owner