CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: wooden table for a router

on 2003-07-14 07:24:02 UTC
Thanks,

For a desk-top routers, I am sure that wood will work great. my PCB
drilling machine is MDF and does not have any side loads like a
router would have.

I seem to remember Les Watts mentioning his machine has something on
the order of a few thousand pounds of side loading capability. seems
a dull router bit on hardwood would test the strength of many
machines.

I'm thinking that a wooden table of roughly 10 ft by 6 feet would
have potential warping problems with humidity as well as concerns
about rocking from repeated accel and decell of the gantry.

Dave

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Charles Knight <charles@i...>
wrote:

> >I friend was amazed at my CNC stuff and since he is a carpenter,
he
> >asked if I could make him one.
> >
> >I told him that a steel table is $$$ and he asked if anybody uses
> >wood for the tables ?
> >

> It's not yet done, but this is my new "hardware store"
machine...it's
> mostly MDF, but built with U channel construction. It's STIFF!
Flex

http://www.cnczone.com
> in the "homebuilt wood routers" section. Lots of good ideas,
there, for
> people on a budget.
>
> The secret is going to be making it sufficiently stiff...not too
hard,
> if you use proper construction. Remember...wood is a reinforced
> composite material, not terribly unlike fiberglass or carbon fiber.
> *Use* it to your advantage! Keeping a 4x8' table stiff may be a
> challenge, but it's definitely an achievable goal.
>
> -- Chuck Knight

Discussion Thread

turbulatordude 2003-07-13 18:38:26 UTC wooden table for a router JanRwl@A... 2003-07-13 20:40:02 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] wooden table for a router Charles Knight 2003-07-13 22:05:48 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] wooden table for a router ccq@x... 2003-07-14 05:39:18 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] wooden table for a router turbulatordude 2003-07-14 07:24:02 UTC Re: wooden table for a router Leslie M. Watts 2003-07-14 10:35:39 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: wooden table for a router Robb Greathouse 2003-07-14 12:59:43 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] wooden table for a router Fred Smith 2003-07-14 15:23:58 UTC Re: wooden table for a router Miroslav Pejic 2003-07-15 05:48:25 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: wooden table for a router JanRwl@A... 2003-07-15 11:01:58 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: wooden table for a router Vajk Fekete 2003-07-15 22:38:12 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: wooden table for a router