CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Question about AC power distribution in CNC controller box

Posted by mrgamber
on 2003-07-15 07:29:19 UTC
Are you saying that code requires design to 220V?

If I build the other box, is it an issue if the cases are bolted
together?

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Alan Marconett KM6VV
<KM6VV@a...> wrote:
> Hi G,
>
> NOTE: (ASSUMES U.S. WIRING)
>
> I just did two switched outlets (Sherline spindle and AUX), and
used the
> same entry module. No problem there, single entry module.
>
> In your case, I'd be concerned with trying to parallel TWO entry
> modules. The possibility exist that they could be plugged into
> DIFFERENT halves of the split 220V (U.S. center grounded).
Different
> "circuits" in households (shops) can be on different "sides" of the
A.C.
> line. Best to get the rated entry module you require.
>
> In line with what you want, you might want an outboard pair of SSS
> modules and input module in a separate box. Then two SSS modules
and an
> input module in the Driver/PS box. In my thinking, this keeps any
> possible AC LINE differences out of the equation. A pair of control
> lines goes to the outboard box.
>
> OR
>
> Wire the Driver/PS box up for 220V, and split the line up into two
loads
> inside the box. That would be DESIGNING for the possibility (now
> requirement) for 220V in the driver/PS box.
>
> What I wouldn't want to see is two line cords (via TWO input
modules)
> going into the same driver/PS box (hence the two box suggestion
above).
> If they accidently gave you 220 in the box... (you CAN'T connect
them
> together!)
>
> To summarize: Go to ONE 220 entry module, and DESIGN for 220V, or
use
> the "external box" to control an additional AC line circuit.
>
> STANDARD WARNING:
> If you're not COMPLETELY knowledgeable about these AC circuits I've
> mentioned, please get qualified help! We want to hear from you
again!

> HTH
>
> Alan KM6VV
>

> mrgamber wrote:
> >
> > I am building a CNC controller.
> >
> > I plan on having 4 switched AC outlets on the back controlled by
> > solid state relays.
> >
> > #1 is power to the servo drive power supply.
> >
> > #2 is spindle
> >
> > #3 is mist coolant
> >
> > #4 is flood coolant
> >
> > #3 and #4 are assumed to be very low AMP requirement.
> >
> > My question is, I want to put a 10A power entry module so I get it
> > all in one plug. Is this a bad idea? Can I put 2 of these modules
and
> > split the power between say #3 and #4 + controller electronics
power
> > and the put #1 and #2 on a seperate power cord? This way I would
have
> > 2 AC power cords entering one box. Is there a problem with ground
> > loops if you do this?

Discussion Thread

mrgamber 2003-07-14 08:45:30 UTC Question about AC power distribution in CNC controller box Bernard R 2003-07-14 09:05:50 UTC Re: Question about AC power distribution in CNC controller box mrgamber 2003-07-14 09:14:46 UTC Re: Question about AC power distribution in CNC controller box eferg2001 2003-07-14 09:26:28 UTC Re: Question about AC power distribution in CNC controller box Alan Marconett KM6VV 2003-07-14 17:13:02 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Question about AC power distribution in CNC controller box mrgamber 2003-07-15 07:29:19 UTC Re: Question about AC power distribution in CNC controller box Alan Marconett KM6VV 2003-07-15 11:25:46 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Question about AC power distribution in CNC controller box mrgamber 2003-07-15 16:00:25 UTC Re: Question about AC power distribution in CNC controller box Alan Marconett KM6VV 2003-07-15 19:33:12 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Question about AC power distribution in CNC controller box