CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Question about AC power distribution in CNC controller box

on 2003-07-14 17:13:02 UTC
Hi G,

NOTE: (ASSUMES U.S. WIRING)

I just did two switched outlets (Sherline spindle and AUX), and used the
same entry module. No problem there, single entry module.

In your case, I'd be concerned with trying to parallel TWO entry
modules. The possibility exist that they could be plugged into
DIFFERENT halves of the split 220V (U.S. center grounded). Different
"circuits" in households (shops) can be on different "sides" of the A.C.
line. Best to get the rated entry module you require.

In line with what you want, you might want an outboard pair of SSS
modules and input module in a separate box. Then two SSS modules and an
input module in the Driver/PS box. In my thinking, this keeps any
possible AC LINE differences out of the equation. A pair of control
lines goes to the outboard box.

OR

Wire the Driver/PS box up for 220V, and split the line up into two loads
inside the box. That would be DESIGNING for the possibility (now
requirement) for 220V in the driver/PS box.

What I wouldn't want to see is two line cords (via TWO input modules)
going into the same driver/PS box (hence the two box suggestion above).
If they accidently gave you 220 in the box... (you CAN'T connect them
together!)

To summarize: Go to ONE 220 entry module, and DESIGN for 220V, or use
the "external box" to control an additional AC line circuit.

STANDARD WARNING:
If you're not COMPLETELY knowledgeable about these AC circuits I've
mentioned, please get qualified help! We want to hear from you again!

HTH

Alan KM6VV

mrgamber wrote:

> I am building a CNC controller.
>
> I plan on having 4 switched AC outlets on the back controlled by
> solid state relays.
>
> #1 is power to the servo drive power supply.
>
> #2 is spindle
>
> #3 is mist coolant
>
> #4 is flood coolant
>
> #3 and #4 are assumed to be very low AMP requirement.
>
> My question is, I want to put a 10A power entry module so I get it
> all in one plug. Is this a bad idea? Can I put 2 of these modules and
> split the power between say #3 and #4 + controller electronics power
> and the put #1 and #2 on a seperate power cord? This way I would have
> 2 AC power cords entering one box. Is there a problem with ground
> loops if you do this?

Discussion Thread

mrgamber 2003-07-14 08:45:30 UTC Question about AC power distribution in CNC controller box Bernard R 2003-07-14 09:05:50 UTC Re: Question about AC power distribution in CNC controller box mrgamber 2003-07-14 09:14:46 UTC Re: Question about AC power distribution in CNC controller box eferg2001 2003-07-14 09:26:28 UTC Re: Question about AC power distribution in CNC controller box Alan Marconett KM6VV 2003-07-14 17:13:02 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Question about AC power distribution in CNC controller box mrgamber 2003-07-15 07:29:19 UTC Re: Question about AC power distribution in CNC controller box Alan Marconett KM6VV 2003-07-15 11:25:46 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Question about AC power distribution in CNC controller box mrgamber 2003-07-15 16:00:25 UTC Re: Question about AC power distribution in CNC controller box Alan Marconett KM6VV 2003-07-15 19:33:12 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Question about AC power distribution in CNC controller box