CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Trak cnc 2 control replacement

Posted by seb fontana
on 2004-01-14 22:07:43 UTC
---Doug, at this point in time I am seriously thinking of changing
controls unless someone can show/explain to me how I can obtain
secure memory via rs232 port to pc [I would need pc to do real 3x
programing anyways?] as the factory still supports this model of
control but only on an exchange basis. No parts [tape or disc
storage, ect.] are available for outrite purchase and it is my
understanding from the manufacturor that this unit was not rs232
enabled and did not volunteer to do so, someone know how? ..Again,
unless I can find a way [someone to show/tell me] to not have to
program Z, I really don't want it to drill holes for me; at this time
in probably one-off parts that don't envolve 3d [for which I would
need PC and rs232] contouring..And it is like you say, it is doubtful
if hobby oriented controls would be better, just that parts are
readially available in working groups, "kits" are made for numbie
like me and reasonally affordable...Kicker is that at work we have
couple of 5 yr old Trak AGE 2 machines whos controls [I am
comfortable learning] would work on my 13 yr old machine but I'm
afraid to ask cost of new replacements!! I guess what I'm looking for
is someone experienced with my control [Trak cnc 2] to show/tell/help
me understand, I'm sure there's tricks that even the factory doesn't
know about. Thanks, Seb.

In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "doug98105" <DougR@a...> wrote:
> Seb,
>
> I don't understand why you want to replace the control.
>
> Can't the RS232 be turned on? Having to run in all three axis is
> not a problem.
>
> It's unlikely you'll have a better machine after changing
controls.
> I think you're operating on mis-information to assume the hobby
type
> controls will be an improvement.
>
> Just my $.02,
>
> Doug
>

> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "seb fontana"
> <speedoo51@y...> wrote:
> > To retro using what is currantly availible, affordable for
home
> > use/limited production. Machine is Sharp brand; B'port clone
> Series
> > 1 size, very nice ways/condition. Reason for change: control must
> be
> > run in 3 axis, no option; RS232 port not enabled, not capable/no
> > means to store/write/retrieve programs with PC. I can assemble
> > replacement with instruction, limited electronic experience and
> have
> > been following article in HSM magazine. Would welcome
suggestions,
> > comments, thoughts. I am in CT. Can E me if prefer. Following is
> > list of what the present control [Trak cnc 2 made by South
Western
> > Industries] works with.
> >
> > 1) Has dc servo motors, 4" dia x 6" long, 4 brush, with
encoder.
> > Motor volt, amp, torque not listed on label.
> > Encoder count not known. Should be around B'port
> > Series 1 size. Belt drive of 2:1 reduction.[All Good?]
> >
> > 2) For DRO{?} has another set of Encoders[?] that pick up x&y
> > movement by contact wheels on bed and sadle; attached
> > to leadscrew [at quill] for z. Newer Traks use
> > same units on x&y..May work somehow in combination
> > with encoders on motors. [Good ?]
> >

> > 3) Ballscrews all [xyz] axis. [Got to be Good!]
> >
> > This is great club, most talk here is above my head so thanks
> for
> > tolerating !! Seb.

Discussion Thread

seb fontana 2004-01-10 17:19:46 UTC Trak cnc 2 control replacement Jon Elson 2004-01-10 20:09:04 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Trak cnc 2 control replacement seb fontana 2004-01-10 21:47:08 UTC Re: Trak cnc 2 control replacement jcc3inc 2004-01-11 06:55:28 UTC Re: Trak cnc 2 control replacement Jon Elson 2004-01-11 14:24:17 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Trak cnc 2 control replacement seb fontana 2004-01-12 17:33:30 UTC Re: Trak cnc 2 control replacement Jon Elson 2004-01-12 22:11:35 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Trak cnc 2 control replacement seb fontana 2004-01-13 18:21:16 UTC Re: Trak cnc 2 control replacement Harvey White 2004-01-13 21:21:19 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Trak cnc 2 control replacement Jon Elson 2004-01-13 22:38:50 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Trak cnc 2 control replacement doug98105 2004-01-14 05:39:46 UTC Re: Trak cnc 2 control replacement seb fontana 2004-01-14 22:07:43 UTC Re: Trak cnc 2 control replacement