CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] BDI-LIVE RC23 hangs

Ron K wrote:

>This kind of stuff is why most of us just give up on Linux , until they
>get the bugs out you have to be a programer to figure out how to get it
>to work .
>Too bad I'd love to see a serious threat to Microsoft , they are worse
>than IBM use to be.

This is so typical of the people who really don't want to see if there is
an alternative. With Microsoft, if something doesn't work, you take
it back to the computer store and get something else (if you are lucky).
There is no way to "fix" it, although sometimes various special-interest
lists have people who know the trick. But, it is hard for anyone to
know the tricks, since the code is secret.

With Linux, even if YOU don't want to get into it, there are others who
have taken it apart, read the code, understood what they needed to know,
and now know what makes it tick. There are thousands, no TENS of
thousands of really sharp programmes out there who are fixing bugs
one at a time. But, together, they are a pretty impressive force!

With Microsoft, stuff works, kind of, out of the box, but is DAMN
unreliable, requiring reboots all the time, losing your work time after
time after time, and there is absolutely nothing you can do to make it
better.
Upgrade? You have to be kidding. Every version gets worse!

With Linux, there may be more pain to get it running, you really have to
go over every SINGLE piece of hardware in your system and check it
against the hardware compatibility lists to make sure it is supported,
but when you do this, it really DOES work.

I've been running Linux on more and more computers since 1998, and am
a complete convert. I still do CAD on Windows, but that is about it.
My main Linux machine is also a web server, mail server, ftp server,
local network server, router and nameserver, and I use it for all email,
web browsing, etc. It normally stays up 75 - 90 days between power
failures. Other than 2 hackers finding their way in and causing mischief,
I NEVER have to reboot or do much else on it. My Linux machines for
EMC have NEVER had the slightest problem since 1999, and never so
much as hiccupped on me. When moving large machines, reliability is
of the UTMOST concern!

You need to know that Linux IS a serious threat to Microsoft, and has
already
cost them something like $1 billion in lost revenue. Some large companies
have farms of hundreds of Linux servers for enterprise-wide services.
When you count up the cost of not only the Windows OS licenses PLUS all
the myriad applications, networking, etc. programs that they DIDN'T purchase
from MS, it really becomes a significant $ amount. It is not as big a
movement here as in the far east, especially, but it is growing.

<rant mode off>

alflewerken 2004-03-29 23:34:00 UTC BDI-LIVE RC23 hangs Thomas Fritz 2004-03-30 04:40:12 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] BDI-LIVE RC23 hangs Roy J. Tellason 2004-03-30 06:35:34 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] BDI-LIVE RC23 hangs Ron K 2004-03-30 08:13:57 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] BDI-LIVE RC23 hangs Jon Elson 2004-03-30 09:47:06 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] BDI-LIVE RC23 hangs Ron K 2004-03-30 10:19:11 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] BDI-LIVE RC23 hangs fineartlight 2004-03-30 12:41:26 UTC Re: BDI-LIVE RC23 hangs ibewgypsie 2004-03-30 15:29:08 UTC BDI-LIVE / Question for JON... lewerken@t... 2004-03-30 21:24:57 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] BDI-LIVE RC23 hangs Jon Elson 2004-03-30 21:29:26 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] BDI-LIVE / Question for JON... Vince Negrete 2004-03-31 00:48:39 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] BDI-LIVE RC23 hangs Paul 2004-03-31 04:22:32 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] BDI-LIVE RC23 hangs Roy J. Tellason 2004-03-31 07:24:48 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] BDI-LIVE RC23 hangs