CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Troubleshooting a BTR

Posted by metlmunchr
on 2004-08-08 13:50:35 UTC
Vinny, a lot of the old controls read @ 300 baud. If your machine is
good otherwise, you might consider buying a new btr. There were a lot
of early BTR's that used proprietary software and basically won't
operate with a PC. They were sold to large companies that had
mainframes or minis and the $$ to network and DNC early on. I've got
a couple of fairly new BTR's from Advanced Digital Research, and they
work flawlessly. There are people around who kinda specialize in
BTR's on specific controls and have re-seller agreements with
manufacturers like ADR. You can buy from them for about the same
price as from ADR or similar companies, but they include installation
tips and instructions for your specific control and reader combo. On
one of mine, the guy included a special pre-made cable to allow hookup
of the BTR to an existing plug at the reader board instead of having
to do a bunch of wire splicing. The BTR and cable cost $1300, and the
list price of the BTR alone was $1295 at the time. When I called ADR
and told them what I had, they steered me to the guy who I ultimately
bought it from. Installation was a snap, and I had a guy I could call
with questions who was familiar with my specific setup. When the
alternative is beating on a keyboard and hoping you don't make that
one error that causes an unexpedted crash, a good BTR is the best
money you'll ever spend on an otherwise good machine. If you should
decide to purchase a new one, the minimum memory is plenty for any
lathe application, so there's no need to spend the $$ for larger
memory on the board.

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "vinnygenovese"
<superman@r...> wrote:
> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Jon Elson <elson@p...>
> wrote:
> > vinnygenovese wrote:
> >
> > >I am trying to bring an IKEGIA FX25-N / Fanuc 5T back to life.
There is a
> [...]
> > know this,
> > you can see which dip switch is connected to which pin, and with the
> > crystal frequency,
> > you can figure out how to set the baud rate and transmission
characteristics
> > (# bits, even/odd/none parity, etc.)
> >
> > I could be off on this, but there is clearly no EPROM chip, and
> > something about
> > it just makes me think it predates one-chip micros. I note 1488 and
> > 1489 chips,
> > and wonder if it is getting the right power to those chips, as
they need
> > both
> > positive and negative voltages.
> >
> > I don't know Fanuc machines, but most systems need some switch
settings
> > and/or
> > commands or buttons to put them in the right mode to read a
program from
> > tape
> > or to go into DNC mode.
> >
> > In DNC mode, the computer becomes a file server for the CNC
control, and
> > doesn't send anything until the CNC control asks for it by file name.
> >
> > Jon
>
> Thanks for your insights. I have taken the board apart as per your
suggestions
> and found the UCM logo was painted over the first markings on the
large chip
> just like you guessed. The original markings are close to gone but I
can make
> out the lowest line GFSX904 5 or S. On the back it says Malasya. I
have
> found the trademark (tm) MICRO-BTR on the back, but they must have
gone
> under in the pre-internet days (nothing on google but one reference
to UCM
> in LA.).
>
> The dip switch settings on the top dip switch seem to control baud
rate, the
> traces for that chip go to one SN74LS165N. When I change these
settings the
> LED blinks out the new baud rate after a reset.
>
> I also learned that if I type into my terminal like a madman and
change comm
> settings on the fly, sometimes I can get it to lock up and the LED
blinks out a
> steady 0. The BTR dip switch's came set up for 1200 so I assume a 1979
> Faunc 5T defaults to that baud rate ? .
>
> FYI in order to set up my Fanuc 5T control to read the BTR I have
set my main
> mode switch to 'memory' and pressed the read button on the tape
reader. ( as
> stated in the Fanuc 5T book that came with the machine. The drive wheel
> spins in the reader full time. of course I would throw the BTR board
into the
> Atlantic if I could afford to replace it ! ! !
>

> Thanks everyone for your interest and suggestions.

Discussion Thread

vinnygenovese 2004-08-06 16:47:10 UTC Troubleshooting a BTR Jon Elson 2004-08-06 22:25:46 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Troubleshooting a BTR Stephen Wille Padnos 2004-08-07 10:10:39 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Troubleshooting a BTR metlmunchr 2004-08-07 10:34:57 UTC Re: Troubleshooting a BTR Alan Marconett 2004-08-07 11:56:44 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Troubleshooting a BTR Roy J. Tellason 2004-08-07 12:13:45 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Troubleshooting a BTR Harvey White 2004-08-07 13:43:57 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Troubleshooting a BTR Roy J. Tellason 2004-08-07 14:02:00 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Troubleshooting a BTR Alan Marconett 2004-08-07 14:35:16 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Troubleshooting a BTR Stephen Wille Padnos 2004-08-07 14:39:54 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Troubleshooting a BTR Roy J. Tellason 2004-08-07 14:55:50 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Troubleshooting a BTR vinnygenovese 2004-08-08 12:22:46 UTC Re: Troubleshooting a BTR metlmunchr 2004-08-08 13:50:35 UTC Re: Troubleshooting a BTR Jon Elson 2004-08-08 14:22:20 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Troubleshooting a BTR luvindaddy@y... 2004-08-09 13:34:36 UTC Re: Troubleshooting a BTR luvindaddy@y... 2004-08-10 06:34:17 UTC Gateway BTR ....... was Re: Troubleshooting a BTR