CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: CPNC and Patents

Posted by Jon Anderson
on 2000-05-08 06:55:47 UTC
John Guenther wrote:

> I have been following this thread this morning and have a real
> problem with all this patent stuff. Sure people have a right to
> protect their designs but if you come up with a new way to build
> your widget in the current climate you might as well keep it to
> yourself. There is nothing new in the world, only new ways to use
> existing technology.

I designed a medical device for a customer that resulted in a patent
application. While talking to their patent attorney about this, I
referenced a US patent held by an Italian firm that seemed to put a nail
through the heart of my design. What he had to say was most
enlightening. (and the following DOES NOT constitute patent legal
advice!) While the main claims in that patent seemed to describe the
machine I designed (actually a ground up mechanical redesign/refinement
of an existing machine) we got by because we could demonstrate that we
differed from ONE of this patent's claims. That was enough that we could
then work off the other principles of operation reasonably assured of
being able to beat a patent infringement. We'd have had much weaker
ground if I'd copied their design but for the one difference, but we had
some significant differences, mechanically speaking.

Also, I've never ever heard of anyone being sued for patent infringement
for copying a patented design strictly for their own use.
I'd suspect Ron's program would scarcely draw any notice at all.
With all the low cost approaches I read folks working on here, really,
how many list members here are seriously thinking about buying a Hurco,
or even an AcuRite system? Those outfit would spend big bucks to go
after someone that represents NO threat to them.
Ron's program MIGHT fall under "look and feel" issues, but again, if it
represents no threat and Ron isn't worth more than the legal costs, he's
probably all but totally immune to legal action. Even if someone wanted
to nail him, there are procedures that must be followed, and a Cease and
Desist order is first.

I'd love to mess with Ron's program on my MaxNC, and it would certainly
help my 70+ dad make parts without learning G-code, but on the business
side of my shop, I'll take the commercial package as soon as I can
afford it, for the ease, speed of setup, and reliability/support.
Again, NO threat to the big boys at all.

Jon

ps: John, it was no less than a US Patent official who in the very early
part of this century proclaimed everything that could be invented, had
been invented. The big breakthroughs now require huge budgets and labs,
but there is still fertile ground in the mundane world of mechanical
improvements.

Discussion Thread

Brian Bartholomew 2000-05-07 20:24:02 UTC [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: CPNC and Patents Matt Shaver 2000-05-07 20:47:06 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: CPNC and Patents Jon Elson 2000-05-07 22:38:56 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: CPNC and Patents Jon Elson 2000-05-07 22:57:46 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: CPNC and Patents Brian Bartholomew 2000-05-07 22:57:51 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: CPNC and Patents Brian Bartholomew 2000-05-08 03:08:03 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: CPNC and Patents Tim Barnard 2000-05-08 04:04:20 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: CPNC and Patents Tim Barnard 2000-05-08 04:04:23 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: CPNC and Patents Tim Barnard 2000-05-08 04:04:28 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: CPNC and Patents Brian Bartholomew 2000-05-08 04:20:42 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: CPNC and Patents John Guenther 2000-05-08 05:12:01 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: CPNC and Patents Tim Barnard 2000-05-08 06:17:43 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: CPNC and Patents Tim Barnard 2000-05-08 06:23:40 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: CPNC and Patents Jon Anderson 2000-05-08 06:55:47 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: CPNC and Patents ptengin@a... 2000-05-08 10:49:49 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: CPNC and Patents