CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: EMC popularity, and Parallel port pin configuration

Posted by rszemeti
on 2005-03-11 00:09:21 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "kzf817" <dbabe@w...> wrote:

> Good evening. I would like to know if any of you know if any updates
> have been done to EMC to allow changing of the mapping of pins to the
> first parallel port, in the INI. My milling machine is relatively
> simple (2 axis servo with G340's) and I don't want to add a second
> Parallel port and attendant connectors just for my E-stop.

Yes, EMC2 has the ability to map pins to functions using "HAL" the
Hardware Abstraction Layer ... EMC2 is still very much a work in
progress, but there are people using it succesfully now. If you want
to grab it from the usual place on sourceforge and play with it, feel
free.

Personally, I wouldn't let a $5 parallell port card influence my
decision on what to use.

> I saw
> some old posts in CAD_CAM that hinted that an update was coming to
> allow this, but no details were discussed. Also, could any of you
> tell me if EMC seems to have "gone obsolete" as it were? I don't see
> many posts asking questions about it anymore.

Its all still going, a lot of work has gone into the installer (in
tersm of the "BDI" discs) so people seem to be able to install it much
more easily these days. Its also powering the Sherline CNC mills and
a few other things too on a commercial scale, so its not dead by any
means, infact, it probably has a larger user base than ever.

Discussion Thread

kzf817 2005-03-10 21:35:15 UTC EMC popularity, and Parallel port pin configuration rszemeti 2005-03-11 00:09:21 UTC Re: EMC popularity, and Parallel port pin configuration Paul 2005-03-11 04:57:35 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC popularity, and Parallel port pin configuration David A. Frantz 2005-03-11 07:04:01 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC popularity, and Parallel port pin configuration erie 2005-03-11 07:24:23 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC popularity, and Parallel port pin configuration Jon Elson 2005-03-11 08:20:26 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC popularity, and Parallel port pin configuration kzf817 2005-03-11 11:27:32 UTC Re: EMC popularity, and Parallel port pin configuration Alan Marconett 2005-03-11 16:23:52 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: EMC popularity, and Parallel port pin configuration