CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Newbie bridgeport cnc conversion quetions

Posted by toorigid
on 2005-08-05 16:27:06 UTC
<iszrblack@m...> wrote:
> > I have been a member of the group for a while and read the posts
in
> > the digests sent to my email. I have a old bridgeport series 1
with
> > a 1J head. The table and the ways are not the greatest and I
cleaned
> > and painted it to make it a respectable machine. I just bought
> > another machine much nicer and I am considering selling this old
> > one. But then I began thinking about keeping it (if I can afford
to)
> > and converting it to a cnc. I run a Hurco at work so I have CNC
> > experience. I am wondering what is the best (most bang for the
buck)
> > way to convert machine? I am capable of making all the brackets
> > mount the motors. What are the in's and out's of servo vs
stepper?My
> > other concern is the machine itself. The ways are slick(no
> > scrapings) and not chromed. There is some slop with the table
locks
> > loose. Can you run with the gibs snug to get the slop out and
still
> > make good parts? I mean you can indicate the part in if the t
slots
> > are not square to the head, but table and saddle move square to
each
> > other. Do I make sense or am I missing something? Or do I sell
this
> > machine and wait for another one that's in better shape and when
> > can actually afford it. I just hate to get rid of the machine if
it
> > usable as a cnc. Thanks alot for your time consideration.
> >
> > Ian Black
>
> Over the years the one theme from guys that have "been there, done
> that" are to put your time into adding the controls to an existing
CNC

Well that's the kind of answer I'm looking for. I was thinking about
it today and I have seen series 2 BP cnc's go pretty cheap and thats
a beefier machine with more travel. I just wanted input, Thanks.
> mill rather than take a non-CNC unit and have to add ballscrews,
> Motors, Controller, motor drives, software, etc. Ususally older
CNC
> machines depreciate faster than manual machines for the simple
reason
> it costs a fortune to keep them running. A "broken" CNC Bridgeport
> with tight ways and no slop will fetch about half what a similar
> manual version brings. Of course I didn't listen to that logic
when I
> was offered a sorry looking Gorton 10. I have spent countless
hours
> cleaning and painting then pulling everything apart and fitting
> ballscrews (A must for precision work) and building the motor
mounts
> and getting it generally ready for CNC conversion. Two years into
the
> project i still need to add the actual control cabinet and get it
> running with a PC controller. Along the way I have used it
manually
> to build 3 other CNC machines.
>
> Shop around for a mill with a broken controller. For the non-
hobbiest
> that is not aware of the existence of the low cost CNC options, a
> busted CNC looks like 3000 lbs of heartache. Most shops when
quoted
> the 10 grand to fix a broken unit, will just opt to buy a new
one. If
> the basic mechanical parts are sound then you are 75% of the way
> having a good CNC machine instead of the 25% you will be at with an
> old manual machine.
>
> Do as I say, not as I do!!(:-)

Discussion Thread

toorigid 2005-08-04 17:16:58 UTC Newbie bridgeport cnc conversion quetions Patrick J 2005-08-04 19:02:16 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Newbie bridgeport cnc conversion quetions caudlet 2005-08-04 19:29:01 UTC Re: Newbie bridgeport cnc conversion quetions Les Newell 2005-08-05 02:18:14 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Newbie bridgeport cnc conversion quetions toorigid 2005-08-05 16:27:06 UTC Re: Newbie bridgeport cnc conversion quetions alphawolf45 2005-08-05 19:30:06 UTC Re: Newbie bridgeport cnc conversion quetions Jon Elson 2005-08-05 21:33:32 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Newbie bridgeport cnc conversion quetions George Taylor, IV 2005-08-05 23:02:16 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Newbie bridgeport cnc conversion quetions Les Newell 2005-08-06 05:53:25 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Newbie bridgeport cnc conversion quetions alphawolf45 2005-08-06 05:56:36 UTC Re: Newbie bridgeport cnc conversion quetions R Rogers 2005-08-06 06:49:04 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Newbie bridgeport cnc conversion quetions alphawolf45 2005-08-06 08:17:33 UTC Re: Newbie bridgeport cnc conversion quetions George Taylor, IV 2005-08-06 08:38:58 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Newbie bridgeport cnc conversion quetions Wayne Weedon 2005-08-06 08:39:37 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Newbie bridgeport cnc conversion quetions Jon Elson 2005-08-06 12:12:59 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Newbie bridgeport cnc conversion quetions R Rogers 2005-08-06 17:22:32 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Newbie bridgeport cnc conversion quetions James Peck 2005-08-08 08:25:01 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Newbie bridgeport cnc conversion quetions