CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Newbie bridgeport cnc conversion quetions

Posted by R Rogers
on 2005-08-06 17:22:32 UTC
Steve, Sorry if you took offense, none was intended. Nothing wrong with upgrading a used ("used", is that better? :-) CNC machine if it works out for you. I've just read post after post of people that have fought with doing that. It seems most of the problems are reported when some of the old is trying to be mixed with the new electronics. Other problems with some of the "BOSS" mills is that the old stepper versions of these are difficult to upgrade to servo systems and use any belt reduction. Some of them were 1:1 ratio and there isnt any room within the mounts or castings for larger pulleys. So they are sorta stuck with the stock steppers. And the mounting pattern is not standard as well. I've never priced a new ballscrew for, say a Bridgeport Interact and I'm afraid I wouldn't want to. If there is no aftermarket source, they would be very expensive. Would more than cancel out any savings enjoyed by buying a used CNC versus retrofitting a manual.

The point I was trying to make is: Obtaining a used CNC is no guarantee of an easy retrofit. And if alot of modifications is done to stock items to put it back in service as a CNC. The parts will only be of use on that machine or one just like it.

I totally agree about the CNC machine versus the manual. Machine for Machine, and knowing the history of both and what to watch out for when buying, I'd take the used CNC every time. If the CNC was in a lab, maintanence dept. or controller on the blink most of its service and never used and they were selling it for the going rate. Just get there before I do :-)

Ron

alphawolf45 <haushahn@...> wrote:
An old CNC machine on the other hand, you'll always have an old CNC
machine.

> Just a different opinion about retrofit candidates,
>
> Ron
> That's not a difference in opinion from me Ron..I got 14 pieces of 3
phase machinery in a 4400 sq.foot shop building..Everything bought on
the cheap and only after some intelligent reasoning..You are right, an
old cnc will always be an old cnc...But it's a stouter machine, done up
cheaper than an old manual machine thats been retrofitted..Optionally,
I can change an old servo motor or a ballscrew if it drops out or fails
to perform to my needs.So tell me again what is wrong with this
reasoning? Old manual machine is not inherintly better than an old
cnc..There is nothing 'wrong' about retrofitting a manual machine if
that is how you choose to go..But I'd take offense if you critisized my
decision to upgrade an old cnc or spoke condenscendingly about my cnc
mills as being 'old'...I mean I use the term 'old' with affection but
youre crinkling your nose...I say run what you brung.
Steven

Addresses:
Post Messages: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com

Moderator: pentam@... indigo_red@... davemucha@... [Moderators]

OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
If you wish to post on unlimited OT subjects goto: aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to reach it if you have trouble.