CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Tree Journeyman 300

Posted by Dan Mauch
on 2005-11-13 08:51:09 UTC
Many questions. Here are the answers.
We used a rented forklift rated at 6000lb . It cost $100 for a full day but
was worth it. I would get one with the extra long forks.
I would leave the enclosures intact until you get a chance to check it out.
Those servo motors are 3/4hp. You can easily test them by using a 12V
battery.
Locate the red and black wires that come from the servo motors that go back
to the servo amp. I would lube the ways before operation.
How you run the unit I guess depends on what you want to do. If you can
provide 220 3 phase your might be able to get the existing unit to run. If
the on board computer is shot then I would gut all the electronics and
install a much simpler Gecko drive if you can live with 100 ipm speed. I am
running my Tree mill at 80VDC. The motors were 130VDC thus the speed will be
reduced proportionally to the voltage used.
If it is just the lower ways on the knee then I wouldn't worry about it
because you have a ballscrew driven z axis.
as I recall the travel is 12x32X5? and the table is 10.5X47
Yes I have managed to acquire most of the manuals.
The 300 has home and limit switches on the XYZ axis. I rewired them to be
compatible with Mach2/3. I ended up relocating the X axis home X+ limit
switch actuator because the table coolant drain interfered with the drain
piping.
Contact me off line for the manuals.
One thing that you will need to be cognizant of is that the kwik switch
spindle uses a air cly actuated by a solenoid valve that locks the spindle
when you changes tools. Similarly the spindle is a two speed unit. It uses
an air cly to shift from low to high speed. It's sort a of a screwy set up
because when you change speed you need to bring the spindle motor to a
complete stop. I have a switch that then activates the solenoid that then
shifts the gears but when you do that the spindle direction reverses. So I
had to mount another switch that tells my KB electronics to reverse
direction thus making the spindle turn correctly. In retrospect I should
have gotten a different switch to reverse the spindle direction when the
gears were shifted.
I gutted the whole monitor and keyboard assembly and then built a new one
that houses a 1.2Ghz pc and a 17" lcd monitor and a pc keyboard. I can use
mach2/3 or really any other pc based G code interpreter. The retrofitted
machine doesn't have all the features of the original machine controls but
for my uses its quite satisfactory.

Dan Mauch
low cost stepper and servo motors.
cases for Gecko drives