CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Servo/Stepper on a Surface Grinder

on 2006-04-26 22:45:12 UTC
Thanks for the reply. You bring up a lot, so let me answer in point form.

. Forgive nme for not being more clear, yes, this is a uController
project. The board is already wired wrapped (too simple to justify
the expense of a PCB) and the code 99% written.

WAY easier to do this on a uC than a PC .. and I'm a PC programmer !

. Steppers or servos .. the issue here is two conflicting criteria. The
first is that on occasion, a FAIR bit of force is required to turn the
crank to move the table. The wheel hits something high or something hard
and 10 times the force is required for a second or two. So a whack of
power is required every once in a while, meaning a fairly big motor.

Now consider the saddle. It merely sits on top of two V ways, with nothing
holding it down but the weight of the table. And with the table at either
extreme, there is a fair lever trying to "lift" the saddle off the far
V way.

Any motor I use is going to add to this lever effect, therefore, I want
the lightest motor that will do the job, to minimize, as much as possible
this effect.

Steppers make the best power/weight at these speeds, but cog .. only a bit
to be sure, but cog. When removing 1/10 of .001", I'm going to believe
that this cogging will be noticeable.

DC motors should be smoother, but don't make a whole lot of power at low
speeds, so I'm back to using a big one, with the problem mentioned above.

A servo, though, controlled by something like a Gecko (that I have a fair
bit of experience with) would allow a small motor, with the Gecko watching
the speed and bumping up the current for that short period of time, should
it sense a slowdown.

A simple PWM controlled _small_ DC motor would require additional electronics
(and a tach) to control the speed.

So the Gecko/servo is the easy way out.

. I like the 3 phase idea, given that I have a 1/3 HP VFD sitting around
(eBay madness). But unless I run across a 1/30 HP or 1/50 HP 3P motor,
anything else is going to be too darned big.

Double-stack NEMA23 is about the size and weight I'm comfortable with.

Mind you, I am starting to stare at the thing with an eye to mounting a
counterweight on the side opposite the motor. But there just isn't a whole
lot of machine to bolt anything too; even the NEMA23 mount is going to
be tricky ...

. Belt to reduce the speed would be nice, but there is a limit to the size of
pulley that will fit under the table. This is the one you'd want to be
large but will have to be small. I think a 16 tooth XL pulley is as large as
I can go here, which doesn't give a whole lot of potential for reduction.

. As attractive as CNCing the Z axis is (I call it the Z axis, I have no
idea what the grinder guys call it), I cannot imagine doing so anytime
soon. The amount of "down" is very hard to predict and highly dependent
upon a lot of not easily calculated factors (hardness of the material,
wheel composition, wheel loading, wheel grain sharpness, moon phase).

There is no formula for flutes/material/diameter/surface_speed_constant as
there is when milling or turning, or anything like it .. your eyes and ears
tell you when it's safe to go down.

So while it would be nice to program the "down" in the same manner as I
program the across, I just can't see it happening. Still, for the sake
of two more Step/Dir signals and two more BCD switches (down increment and
down distance) ...

Anyway, thanks again, and glad you don't see me as excessively mad !

Alan

--

Alan Rothenbush
Academic Computing Services

The Spartans do not ask the number of the enemy, only where they are.

Agix of Sparta

Discussion Thread

Alan Rothenbush 2006-04-26 13:36:23 UTC Servo/Stepper on a Surface Grinder Abby Katt 2006-04-26 14:22:33 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Servo/Stepper on a Surface Grinder Phil Mattison 2006-04-26 14:33:41 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Servo/Stepper on a Surface Grinder John Dammeyer 2006-04-26 15:13:59 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Servo/Stepper on a Surface Grinder wanliker@a... 2006-04-26 21:25:54 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Servo/Stepper on a Surface Grinder John Dammeyer 2006-04-26 21:41:39 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Servo/Stepper on a Surface Grinder wanliker@a... 2006-04-26 21:48:30 UTC Servo/Stepper on a Surface Grinder John Dammeyer 2006-04-26 22:17:14 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Servo/Stepper on a Surface Grinder wanliker@a... 2006-04-26 22:22:17 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Servo/Stepper on a Surface Grinder Alan Rothenbush 2006-04-26 22:45:12 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Servo/Stepper on a Surface Grinder Alan Rothenbush 2006-04-26 22:47:09 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Servo/Stepper on a Surface Grinder wanliker@a... 2006-04-26 23:55:08 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Servo/Stepper on a Surface Grinder Alan Marconett 2006-04-27 07:58:41 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Servo/Stepper on a Surface Grinder Marcus 2006-04-27 08:07:06 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Servo/Stepper on a Surface Grinder Alan Rothenbush 2006-04-27 12:10:16 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Servo/Stepper on a Surface Grinder Alan Rothenbush 2006-04-27 12:42:27 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Servo/Stepper on a Surface Grinder John Dammeyer 2006-04-27 14:01:42 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Servo/Stepper on a Surface Grinder Alan Rothenbush 2006-04-27 14:38:54 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Servo/Stepper on a Surface Grinder John Dammeyer 2006-04-27 14:57:45 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Servo/Stepper on a Surface Grinder Sven Peter 2006-04-28 07:22:30 UTC Re: Servo/Stepper on a Surface Grinder BRIAN FOLEY 2006-04-28 10:02:21 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Servo/Stepper on a Surface Grinder