CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC on a ThinkPad?

"Carey L. Culpepper" wrote:

> What is the possibility of installing and running emc on a IBM
> Thinkpad
> notebook computer? I have 3 other computers sitting here on my desk
> but
> can imagine what metal chips would do to one of them. I bought the
> Thinkpad as a shop computer. A 760xd(166mhz and 64m ram) . Is this
> enough computer for emc running closed loop steppers? What about the
> dos
> version Desknrt?

When you say closed-loop steppers, do you mean that the steppers will be
fitted
with encoders that send info back to the computer running EMC? IF so,
how
will you read the encoders back in? So far, everybody needs an ISA bus
card
to do this. I'm working on a set of boards that will attach to the
parallel port
and read encoders and do other things, but it is not ready yet.

The computer, itself is fine! I'm running a 3-axis servo system on a
100 MHz
Pentium classic, with 32 MB of memory and a 1 GB disk. This last item
may
cause problems with the EMC install. If you leave out the help (man)
files, it shouldn't
be so much of a problem.

As for chips, I have built a custom computer cabinet around an ATX
motherboard.
It sits in a rack with the servo amps and other gear, and has no
openings in the front.
I got a keyboard cover that form-fits over the keys of a standard
keyboard.
I found one of those keyboard-monitor swivel-lift arms that mount on a
desk
and welded up a bracket that attaches to the slightly sloped side of the
Bridgeport
main casting, and this is great! The monitor has a plate with a
turned-up lip
to sit on, and I wedged a piece of plexiglas in the lip and attached it
to the side
of the monitor. This keeps flying chips and coolant out of the monitor
quite well.
I taped the E-stop switch onto the top of the monitor, and use the top
of the
monitor as a mouse pad, too!

The only maintenance it needs is occasionally vacuuming chips off the
keyboard
cover. I've been running a monitor and keyboard like this for about 18
months
with no problem.

Jon Elson 2000-07-10 22:10:32 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC on a ThinkPad? Tim Goldstein 2000-07-10 22:51:39 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC on a ThinkPad? Carey L. Culpepper 2000-07-11 06:06:04 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC on a ThinkPad? Ron Ginger 2000-07-11 06:27:08 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC on a ThinkPad? Jon Elson 2000-07-11 12:08:39 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC on a ThinkPad?