CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Static electricity - WOW

on 2010-02-25 11:03:51 UTC
Jeff:

If you paid close attention to my post you will see I recommend first a ground line back to the distrubution box and THEN for a backup, mainly to help prevent interference with the electronics, a ground rod near the machine.

As far as wood dust exploding being an uban legend, you must not have looked hard enough.  It is not a common everyday occurance but it does occur.  And yes it does occur sometimes from static electricity.  I have been to 2 factories over the 26 years or so I have been in this industry where they were totally destroyed by explosion of wood dust.  One of these, it was determined by the investigators, was caused by a maintenance man repairing a section of the dust collector pipe with PVC.  That section caused a big static buildup and ultimately caused a spark inside the pipe, which melted and the fire spread.

You are correct about proper dust collection helping to prevent this type of thing, the key is PROPER dust collection and I am afraid there are a lot of people out there that either don't know how to do this or just don't want to spend the money or time.

Stay safe.

Randy Abernathy
CNC and Industrial Machinery
service, repair, installation and