CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Help Linux Woes Help!!!

Posted by Ian W. Wright
on 1999-07-11 10:18:08 UTC
Wow! Thanks to the help of Tim, Matt and Jon I now seem to have a
computer running EMC. I say seem to because I haven't actually managed
to start it going in any recognisable form yet but it all appeared to
compile OK and I didn't get any error messages at the end.
Tim was very perceptive in realising that I had done a 'custom install'
of Linux - it was the option recommended on the install screen and I
hadn't noticed any instruction to the contrary in the docs I had read.
Obviously, trying to install all the missing modules was getting me
nowhere fast and so I bit the bullet and re-installed as a workstation
with the odd bits Tim recommended tagged on. It worked first time! Oh,
and the wife insisted I put the games back on, so, when I can prise her
off it, I am going to download the emc test files from Matt's site and
see what happens. It will all be a bit theoretical at the moment as I am
in the middle of rebuilding motor controllers and so I've nothing
physical to hang on the port but I expect the screen will do something
to give me encouragement - I'll probably need it, the emc setup
description looks very daunting.
A couple of other questions - is anyone using a linux machine to access
the web via a modem and normal ISP? I'd like to be able to hook mine up
to simplify getting relevant files instead of having to download them
onto this machine, transfer them to CD and then hike up two floors to
load them onto the linux machine, but I can't seem to find any
instructions on how to set up a DUN.
Second, I've been trying to get a soundcard working but, despite trying
3 different 'soundblaster compatibles', I can't get a peep out of it.
Any ideas?
Thanks again chaps, I'll keep you updated.

Ian

Tim Goldstein wrote:

> From: "Tim Goldstein" <timg@...>
>
> hummmm,
> Sounds like you are still missing some RPM packages. If you have the
> "Official" Redhat 5.2 installation guide I would suggest going through
> appendix C (page227) and verifying using Package Manager that you have every
> package listed for Workstation or Base installed along with the following:
> Base/Kernel/ everything
> Development/Building/Libtools
> X11/gnome/gnome-libx-devel
>
> Just to confirm my suspicion, did you do a custom install?
>
> Hope it helps,

Best wishes

Ian

--

Ian W. Wright LBHI
Sheffield Branch Chairman of the British Horological Institute.

'Music is the filling of regular time intervals with harmonious
oscillations.'

Discussion Thread

Ian W. Wright 1999-07-10 16:40:40 UTC Re: Help Linux Woes Help!!! Tim Goldstein 1999-07-10 19:35:51 UTC RE: Help Linux Woes Help!!! Tim Goldstein 1999-07-10 20:04:22 UTC RE: Help Linux Woes Help!!! Jon Elson 1999-07-10 22:10:54 UTC Re: Help Linux Woes Help!!! Jon Elson 1999-07-10 22:27:34 UTC Re: Help Linux Woes Help!!! Ian W. Wright 1999-07-11 10:18:08 UTC Re: Help Linux Woes Help!!! Matt Shaver 1999-07-11 11:12:36 UTC Re: Help Linux Woes Help!!! Ian W. Wright 1999-07-11 12:19:18 UTC Re: Help Linux Woes Help!!! Tim Goldstein 1999-07-11 12:46:40 UTC RE: Help Linux Woes Help!!! Tim Goldstein 1999-07-11 13:12:26 UTC RE: Help Linux Woes Help!!!