CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Signal gen Interface

on 2000-12-08 10:26:29 UTC
Jeff, Ron, and John -

I, too, think I'm on the same page as you, but somewhere on the
margin.

I agree with Ron's post about letting the PC calculate the next
coordinate, and letting the box manage the rest. This would mean
using a command set similar to SimpleStep, Pic Servo, or
IndexerLPT.

I also agree with John's idea of using a single-board computer or
equivalent (such as a not-as-small-but just-as-handy...old PC).
If this computer is limited to pulse generation duties, it should
have no problem producing 50kHz + output.

Now here's the part I see this all coming back to:
We're going to need a CNC control that can produce the appropriate
data for the "box" to receive and convert into coordinated motion.
Ron's CPNC would be one good candidate. The "box" can be an old
486. And then we need the s/w to load into the "box" to produce
the step/dir output. We already have several of these programs
available (as mentioned above; IndexerLPT being my choice). It
seems the big objection to this route is paying a couple hundred
bucks for IndexerLPT or the equivalent. We're talking here of
having to write an equivalent program anyway, so why not just
emulate IndexerLPT, including its command set??? Am I missing
something?

Carlos Guillermo
VERVE Engineering & Design