CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: I made a Success of it!

Posted by Ian W. Wright
on 1999-07-24 12:14:54 UTC
Hi Tim,

The last two attempts - previous to the one which I think is now
possibly successful were made using your instructions to the letter -
even using your xconfig file but I still had the problems with them.
This was why, on the last attempt - the ninth in total, I decided I
needed to try to understand where the problem might lie and this is when
I found the '16Mb bit which says that some buggy motherboards can give
strange problems if the memory isn't initially limited in the xconfig
and then subsequently reset in lilo. Since this installation seemed to
go much better and gave few error messages, and there are certainly
references to RT in the new kernel, I am hopful that it has been
successful. I realise that I must have tried your patience to the limit
and apologise for this, but, after spending almost four solid days
trying to get this thing working, I got to the point of trying anything
in the hope that I may chance on the solution. After starting with a
full box of computer, I now have an almost empty box and a pile of
peripherals cards as I have ripped them out 'just in case' they were
causing the problems and I will now have to start trying to persuade the
system to have them back gradually when I know its stable.
In actual fact, of course, 'messing with the xconfig' doesn't go against
your own instructions as you do say that 'it would be well to spend a
little time configuring the kernel so that it doesn't take so long to
compile' and, initially, I was trying to make sure that it would support
my soundcard - which has never worked in linux and which I think may
have something to do with the long term problems.
Once again, thank you for your help and patience.

Ian

p.s. I have changed the upper case M to a lower case m as in your script
and it doesn't appear to have made any difference - is this ominous??
;o)

Tim Goldstein wrote:

> From: "Tim Goldstein" <timg@...>
>
> Ian,
>
> I am probably going to sound like a cranky old codger, but why do you keep
> trying to change configurations from what is known to work and works for
> everyone else??
>
> Just follow the script instructions exactly and do not make any additional
> changes in the xconfig boxes and then just change the memory value (not

Best wishes

Ian

--

Ian W. Wright LBHI
Sheffield Branch Chairman of the British Horological Institute.

'Music is the filling of regular time intervals with harmonious
oscillations.'

Discussion Thread

Ian W. Wright 1999-07-22 13:51:02 UTC I made a Success of it! Tim Goldstein 1999-07-22 15:41:30 UTC Re: I made a Success of it! Ian W. Wright 1999-07-24 05:01:28 UTC Re: I made a Success of it! Tim Goldstein 1999-07-24 10:28:05 UTC RE: I made a Success of it! Ian W. Wright 1999-07-24 12:14:54 UTC Re: I made a Success of it! Fred Proctor 1999-07-26 14:42:38 UTC Re: I made a Success of it! Ian W. Wright 1999-08-03 12:28:55 UTC Re: I made a Success of it! Tim Goldstein 1999-08-03 12:47:13 UTC Re: I made a Success of it! Jon Elson 1999-08-03 15:48:01 UTC Re: I made a Success of it! Mike Gann 1999-08-03 16:29:48 UTC Re: I made a Success of it! Tim Goldstein 1999-08-03 16:41:13 UTC Re: I made a Success of it! Mike Gann 1999-08-03 19:09:32 UTC Re: I made a Success of it! Tim Goldstein 1999-08-03 19:25:42 UTC RE: I made a Success of it! Mike Gann 1999-08-03 19:59:40 UTC Re: I made a Success of it! Jon Elson 1999-08-03 22:41:07 UTC Re: I made a Success of it! Ian W. Wright 1999-08-04 13:32:47 UTC Re: I made a Success of it! Ian W. Wright 1999-08-04 13:31:38 UTC Re: I made a Success of it!