CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Homebrew DROs

on 2001-02-11 04:19:48 UTC
Paul,

First off, a disclaimer, I know absolutely NOTHING about Mac's and not much
more about C programing. However as C is supposed to be portable across
platforms, could you not modify the source code for the Lindsay/Eckstein
program to make it work for you?? Just a thought .

However haveing said that, also remember the program MUST be run in a boot
to DOS mode as windoze will not allow it to run accurately in a dos
window:-{( A while back, there was a thread about a possible real time
windoze, but that is another round-to-it project. Right now, am trying to
get the DRO setup on my lathe. That project got set back by the loss of the
hard drive controller and hard drive in the shop computer (an old 486 vesa
bus). So most of this week has been taken digging in the junk box to come
up with another computer to use on the dro.

Got it up and running last night and now to do some debugging to get the
entire system up and running. I have made additional hardware for the lathe
and am running the encoder outputs to an AB box. Running a little behind
schedule as I had hoped to have all done and the web site updated by the
end of last month.

Let me know if I can help.

At 05:24 AM 2/11/01, you wrote:
>Hi Neil
>
>I too have been looking at home brew DRO's and posted a question
>(No.17790) in December. A belated thankyou to those who replied - the
>same people as replied to your posting.
>
>I spent a lot of time over the last month or so trying to find
>sources of encoders in the UK at reasonable prices. I found nothing
>even remotely comparable. pricewise, to those offered by
>usdigital.com.
>
>To make matters worse, I was unable to find the LS7266R1 chip in the
>UK. So I shall use the scheme detailed by Art Eckstein and use the
>parrallel port of an old PC.
>
>Pity because it would have been nice to use a couple of the Mac
>SE30's I have available - that is unless someone's got any ideas.
>
>Paul Norton
>
>--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "Neil Gillies" <neil@s...> wrote:
> > Hi DROers :-)
> >
> > I wonder if anyone has a definitive link list of homebrew DROs
>either using
> > PCs/Macs/Palm or microcontrollers. Also, a CHEAP UK source of
>encoders
> > (about 4k steps/rev is about right for me, with 5V outputs).
> >
> > I have managed to find only 2 PC based DROs in my searches, I
>assume that
> > there _must_ be more than this in the world =:-? Even the yahoo
> > CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO groups links produced squat.
> >
> > I'm considering designing my own around an old Palm Pilot, but I
>assume that
> > someone somewhere has already been there, printed the tee shirt and
>done it
> > (I hope :-)
> >

> > TIA
> >
> > Neil

>_____
> >
> > Neil D. Gillies Tel: +44 (0)
>1383-823489
> > SeaGull Technologies Fax: +44 (0)870-
>0543622
> > 11 River View Mobile: +44 (0)771-
>4330793
> > Dalgety Bay, Fife neil@s...
> > Scotland KY11 9YE http://www.sea-
>gull.demon.co.uk
>

>Welcome to CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@...,an unmoderated list for the
>discussion of shop built systems, for CAD, CAM, EDM, and DRO.
>
>Addresses:
>Post message: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
>Subscribe: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
>Moderator: jmelson@... timg@... [Moderator]
>bill,
>List Manager

Bubba

OLDER THAN DIRT
Country Bubba
(Actually the inventor of Country and Bubba)

axtein@...
LaGrange, GA

Neil Gillies 2001-02-10 13:50:59 UTC Homebrew DROs Tim Goldstein 2001-02-10 14:47:44 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Homebrew DROs A. G. Eckstein 2001-02-10 15:09:29 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Homebrew DROs paul@r... 2001-02-11 02:24:25 UTC Re: Homebrew DROs A. G. Eckstein 2001-02-11 04:19:48 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Homebrew DROs dave engvall 2001-02-11 09:03:47 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Homebrew DROs Neil Gillies 2001-02-12 23:26:29 UTC Re: Homebrew DROs Tony Jeffree 2001-02-13 02:09:30 UTC Re: Homebrew DROs Neil Gillies 2001-02-14 12:33:15 UTC Re: Homebrew DROs Alan Marconett KM6VV 2001-02-14 12:59:23 UTC Re: Homebrew DROs Tony Jeffree 2001-02-14 14:20:17 UTC Re: Homebrew DROs Tom Eldredge 2001-02-16 03:32:16 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Homebrew DROs Tim Goldstein 2001-02-16 05:17:37 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Homebrew DROs Alan Marconett KM6VV 2001-02-16 11:18:36 UTC Re: Homebrew DROs