CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Having problems with Lindsay design DRO... Could you please help?

on 2001-05-05 04:18:21 UTC
Mike,
Just as a wild thought, did you use the transistor logic of Steve's
original design or ICs like I did?

When I was working on my design using ICs, I was advised by a couple of EE
designers to put "pull-up" resistors (I used 1K) on the inputs to my
buffers (the transistors are the buffers in this case) as the output of the
encoders is an open collector design. It might be possible the inputs to
the transistors are "floating" and causing the errors. I would not worry
to much about the speed of the computer as I am using a 486 DX 100 so that
should not be to much of a problem. For the power to the interface, did
you use an external power supply or internal from the computer? If
external is it "clean" and well filtered??? Did you use the 0.1uF bypass
capacitor as shown in "no_irq2.gif? This is another possible source of
noise on the line.

I am not an EE so what little I know in this area is purely by osmosis from
several people that I do know. One of the reasons that I went with the IC
setup was due to the problems I had getting the discrete transistors to
work in the first place:-{(

Another gentleman is also working on version 5 of Steve's program that will
give a beautiful "graphical" display on the computer and this will require
the use of the interrupt to minimize the error problem. Presently, I am
trying to find the time to get the board together and make it work. You
know how that goes though......so little time and so many projects that you
want to get done.

I personally like the program and find it very useful. At 11:33 PM 5/4/01,