CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] servo products co. of Pasadena, CA

Posted by Graeme Murray
on 2001-05-17 15:49:10 UTC
Hi Ed
Yes I am getting reasonably familiar with the Servo Products system as I
recently (last Nov) purchased a 7yr old FIRST brand Taiwanese mill (50 x 10
table) which had been retrofitted with Servo II controller and motors from
new. I bought it 'as is ' with a few electronic faults and Z axis drive to
the quill via the rack and pinion , which was not working.
I have rebuilt the Z axis drive so that it now drives via a Trapezoidial
screw and an anti-backlash nut I "created" by splitting the purchased
flanged bronze nut . This was intended to tide me over till I could afford a
16mm ball screw . Two weeks ago I was lucky enough to find ,brand new , in a
secondhand dealers shop, a ball screw for $167 NZ (about $65US) so I will be
rebuilding that sometime . In the meantime I have only about half a thou
backlash.
I am going through the learning curve of understanding the Quick'n'Easy
conversational software and it seems to be very good , however I have
discovered RAMS software and will be buying it soon as it seems very good ,
and will work from files made in my Rhino 3D modeling software.
I do prototyping and also have a small machine I am making for sale which
will I hope pay for the mill. Thats the plan anyway. I work from a
reasonably extensive home workshop for my sideline and have a day job as an
R and D engineer.
I had several electronic faults to fix and was supported very well from the
folk at Servo. In fact if I hadn't had their help I would probably be
looking at Gecko and others etc for a new system.
I have been intending to send some pictures of the mods etc but at present I
am working to flat out to organise them, but will one day.
If you have any specific questions I will try to help
Regards
Graeme
Kiwi from 'down under'