CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Vectorcam, bobcad, rhino3D, which one??

Posted by tauseef
on 2001-05-27 23:09:15 UTC
Hey guys (John, Tom, and Paolo + any others),
I am so sorry that I did not respond to your letters before! I was
just doing a search on these CAD/CAM packages again and ran across
these posts!! Sorry! To answer your question of what I plan to make I
would say things like 3D name plates, parts for my radio control
helicopters, car and planes (these would really be more 2 1/2D), some
jewelery, possibly "artwork," business card holder for my brothers
and sisters and other silly things like that. Answering that question
is really pretty hard (even though I know its very important). I love
this machining stuff and the 3D CAD/CAM package would really be more
of a luxuary as I don't know how much 3Ding I truely would be do
considering the time involved in drawing out a 3D object. Machining
is also a hobby for me and not my profession so I don't need the real
high-end stuff. I downloaded Rhino3D today and must say for the 30
min I have spent on it, I am impressed! Its seems very straight
forward. I also have the demo of vectorcam but find it quite hard to
work with. Millwizard is also very impressive and I can't even
imagine how wonderful the higher end CAM packages must be! Would a
combination of TurboCAD and Millwizard be a consideration?
thank you guys again for your input and I hope to answer much quicker
next time :)
tauseef

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., machines@n... wrote:
> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., pavel59@y... wrote:
> > John, I don't want to enter the dispute about the stand alone CAM
> > packages, I agree, there're a few of them and the majority of
them
> > are very expensive.
> > But about the 3D side, I want to make one thing clear: CAD
doesn't
> > necessairly mean 3D and viceversa. Drawing exchange doesn't mean
> > surface exchange and so far.
> >
> > C.A.D. means Computer Aided Design (Drafting), usually mechanical
> or
> > architectural drawing, modeling and detailing
> > A more recent definition like C.A.S. (Computer Aided Styling) and
> > C.A.I.(D). (computer Aided Industrial Design) label those
> > applications - like Rhino, Alias Studio, SolidThinking, Form-Z
and
> > few others - which are specialized in 3D modeling. These
softwares
> > usually support specialized features for advanced surface
modeling
> > and evaluating which are not available on general purpose or
> > mechanical CADs.
> >
> > Some other high-end applications like ICEM and Imageware Surfacer
> are
> > also used in the automotive industry for C.A.S. but they actually
> are
> > Reverse Engineering applications.
> >
> > Rhino isn't a CAD package (ask McNeel if they would consider it a
> > CAD), it's a 3D surface modeler (with oustanding capabilities at
> > very low price).
> >
> > DXF isn't a format you would rely for exchanging consistent 3D
> > surfaces, IGES, STEP and other more exotic formats are better
> suited
> > for this.
> >
> > If I was Mr. Tauseef and I had no access to the packages I
actually
> > have, but - at the same time - I really needed serious 3D work, I
> > would consider a professional package like Rhino and would look
> > around me for a CAM able to read any IGES, STEP or even a STL
file.

> > I remember a japanese site with lot of impressive examples of
jobs
> > done that way on small personal CNC mills, modeled in Rhino
> (mostly)
> > and processed into some inexpensive CAM software.
> >
> > In 3D, the quality of the source is the most important step: if
you
> > don't have a reliable surface to work, it doesn't matter which
CAM
> [...]
> > STL exchange format could be a good compromise, it gives you the
> > choice for resolution/speed/time/precision you can afford and let
> you
> > use one of the affordable packages available today. Don't forget -

> it
> > has been developed for the high precision Stereolitography
> > prototyping process.
> >
> > Finally, about those specific CNC operations and cycles you
> > mentioned, I suppose you could machine your free-form surfaces
the
> > way I suggested and then, import those mechanical features into
> > another apllication which better handles them.
> > I feel this is a quite common procedure (at least I could see it
> > being applied several times in professional machining).
> >
> > I hope my words are understandable, this isn't my first language
> and
> > I apologize for the mistakes.
> >
> > Paolo Velcich
> > industrial designer
>
> Paolo,
> Thank you for the reply and I had no trouble understanding it. Your
> english is 10,000 times beter than my Italian?
> You are not entering into a dispute at all, that's what discussion
> groups are for. I've left your post virtually intact and I'll try
> cover the replies in order.
> Firstly though I don't want to appear to be knocking Rhino I am
only
> trying to give general answers.
> I was lead to believe that DXF files can give 3D information hence
> the DXF3D tag on some file names, Millwizard is one I believe.
> Obviously not all prgrams can ouput these files.
> Your remarks about CAS, CAI[D] and ICEM whilst being very valid are
> really out of the scope of this list which is very hobby based.
> The use of Rhino and a STL based cam system will give very good
> results as you point out but this combination will then deplete Mr
> Tauseef's funds leaving him nothing left to buy another package to
> handle the other milling cycles, most of which will cost the same
as
> his initial purchase. So instead of paying $800 which I think was
the
> mentioned figure he will finish up paying twice that for four
> programs, duplicating in cases what he needs.
> You mention that in professional machining this is done but I've
als
> seen where a company has paid $15,000 for a CAD/CAM package,
realised
> that it doesn't suit them and are looking for another one.
> I don't think anyone on this list falls within this scope.
> We are all stabbing in the dark because Mr Tauseef laid down a very
> open ended question. Until we get clarification on his proposed
uses
> we will be split between those offering Rhino / STL Works /
> Millwizard / Rams/ Ampari and what I call full blown 3D CAD/CAM
>
> Come on Tauseef we are fighting on your behalf and you aren't

Discussion Thread

tauseef 2001-05-10 23:25:22 UTC Vectorcam, bobcad, rhino3D, which one?? Kos 2001-05-11 12:58:36 UTC RE: Vectorcam, bobcad, rhino3D, which one?? Bob Campbell 2001-05-11 13:54:13 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] RE: Vectorcam, bobcad, rhino3D, which one?? tauseef 2001-05-11 16:02:25 UTC Re: Vectorcam, bobcad, rhino3D, which one?? Tom Murray 2001-05-12 08:40:35 UTC Re: Vectorcam, bobcad, rhino3D, which one?? Jon Anderson 2001-05-12 09:13:27 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Vectorcam, bobcad, rhino3D, which one?? machines@n... 2001-05-13 15:17:01 UTC Re: Vectorcam, bobcad, rhino3D, which one?? Tom Murray 2001-05-13 20:50:27 UTC Re: Vectorcam, bobcad, rhino3D, which one?? machines@n... 2001-05-14 00:26:13 UTC Re: Vectorcam, bobcad, rhino3D, which one?? pavel59@y... 2001-05-14 00:43:17 UTC Re: Vectorcam, bobcad, rhino3D, which one?? machines@n... 2001-05-14 12:50:47 UTC Re: Vectorcam, bobcad, rhino3D, which one?? Graeme Murray 2001-05-14 13:27:05 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Vectorcam, bobcad, rhino3D, which one?? tauseef 2001-05-27 23:09:15 UTC Re: Vectorcam, bobcad, rhino3D, which one?? Mike Phillips 2001-05-27 23:13:36 UTC Re: Vectorcam, bobcad, rhino3D, which one?? tauseef 2001-05-27 23:59:16 UTC Re: Vectorcam, bobcad, rhino3D, which one?? info.host@b... 2001-05-28 06:18:32 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Vectorcam, bobcad, rhino3D, which one?? Carol & Jerry Jankura 2001-05-28 06:22:47 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Vectorcam, bobcad, rhino3D, which one?? tauseef 2001-05-28 07:01:19 UTC Re: Vectorcam, bobcad, rhino3D, which one?? Smoke 2001-05-28 10:59:41 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Vectorcam, bobcad, rhino3D, which one?? Carol & Jerry Jankura 2001-05-28 14:37:49 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Vectorcam, bobcad, rhino3D, which one?? Andrew Werby 2001-05-28 17:17:21 UTC Re: Vectorcam, bobcad, rhino3D, which one?? Jon Elson 2001-05-28 20:01:39 UTC Vectorcam, bobcad, rhino3D, which one??