CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: CAM software upgrade policy

Posted by Chris L
on 2002-01-05 22:32:23 UTC
Steve Smith wrote:

> Vector being 32 bit is a nice feature. There were other items too, but 32 bit
> was the main change. I keep debating with myself over whether this would
> qualify as a major upgrade and not being sure.

I feel that the 32 bit upgrade can be considered a major upgrade worth the
upgrade price I paid anyhow. It maybe should have been refered to as V10. It
would have been very identifyable with a definitive "split".

The Dynamic rotation alone is a really nice improvement. I must say too, that the
method used to do it, seems better than some other softwares I have used. Have
you ever come across some of those where you can rotate something but it never
seems to go where you want it ? Vectors works very well. Along with this new view
feature came long file names. Wonderful. Can't wait to see whats next.
Configurable button bars I hope. The 32 bit rewrite will open doors for much
improvement.. I hope.

I don't know that I would go to far bragging up Autodesks technique for
upgrades...... They just released Autosketch Version 8. Since the intro of V6,
dedicated individuals clearly identified a few irritating items about the program
in the Sketch Newsgroup and at AutoDesks bug report and wishlist pages. The
problems are quite small and everyone thought for sure they would be fixed
easily. Many stayed on with version 6 and skipped 7 until a fix was made.

No fixes ever came. I guess we should have known better when their wishlist page
still said Version 6, while Version 7 had been out for 2 years !

One offender was/is Line Widths. Depending on your printer, you might either have
too wide of a line or too narrow with no options in between. So, do you think
they fixed it in V7 ?? No. In V8 ?? No. I could find a hundred threads mentioning
this problem.

When AutoDesk personnel made their very, very rare appearance in their own NG to
announce its release, they were bombarded with questions to see if this handful
of items were fixed. They acted like nobody ever complained ! never knew it was a
problem ! Then it was stated that they DID look for problems and input. Claiming
that after they studied the Sketch newsgroup they came up with 12 major
modifications. In asking what those items were, we were given the lame reply that
the items they "claim" to have fixed were "top secret" and can not be divulged
!!! Whats up with that ?? AutoDesk... Real helpful bunch.... Really on top of
things......

What a hoot ! Those dedicated individuals who actively and freely gave their time
help support Sketches new users in the NG when the A-Desk boys were too busy,
have quieted down just like those in the water when Titanic sank. Most have given
up. They waited 3 years. Now it's time to start looking at other options again
because that company has made it clear by their actions that they do not give a
rip about their clientel. Is there any upgrade pricing for V8?? No. Will they
likely send out a free patch ?? No. And, I don't think they were ever
over-generous with ACad Lt. Either.

AutoSketch.... Another good program going bad. Sure its only a $100 program. But,
people who used it would have paid double to see it finally fixed.

There you have.... Some commendations on Vector, and a RANT on A-Desk.

Chris L

Discussion Thread

IMService 2002-01-05 10:48:33 UTC CAM software upgrade policy Lee and Amy Wenger 2002-01-05 11:14:39 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CAM software upgrade policy imserv1 2002-01-05 14:02:42 UTC Re: CAM software upgrade policy stevenson_engineers 2002-01-05 14:28:36 UTC Re: CAM software upgrade policy imserv1 2002-01-05 15:15:20 UTC Re: CAM software upgrade policy stevenson_engineers 2002-01-05 15:58:18 UTC Re: CAM software upgrade policy Steve Smith 2002-01-05 21:07:09 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: CAM software upgrade policy Chris L 2002-01-05 22:32:23 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: CAM software upgrade policy Tim Goldstein 2002-01-05 23:42:46 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CAM software upgrade policy ballendo 2002-01-06 00:36:46 UTC Re: CAM software upgrade policy Craig Chamberlin 2002-01-06 02:02:51 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: CAM software upgrade policy Fitch R. Williams 2002-01-06 07:35:44 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: CAM software upgrade policy wanliker@a... 2002-01-06 09:23:00 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: CAM software upgrade policy Brian 2002-01-06 17:13:57 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: CAM software upgrade policy Steve Smith 2002-01-06 21:17:51 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: CAM software upgrade policy