CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Vanguard 3000 engraver retrofit

on 2002-01-07 01:09:11 UTC
Thanks Ballendo and Chris L for the great replies, yes it is a cartridge
machine, Newhermes is mailing me a manual, I failed to ask if it
included schematics, I doubt it, that would just be too easy :) I will
begin drawing the schematic myself while I am waiting for the book.
Outstanding suggestion of cutting the runs and inserting the signals. I
admit I hadn't thought of that but now that its brought up it makes
perfect sense...everything is already matched up. I assume that tracing
the runs back from the base of the driver transistors will take me to
the right chips, once I determine the driver chips I'll grab the pinout
and see if a parallel port will interface properly or if I will need to
make up a buffer to do it. Looks like the hard part will be finding the
right software. Thanks again I'm sure I will have more questions in the
future. Any idea what part number series of chips I should focus on? I
only ask becuase there surely wasnt that many variations back then and
it could speed me up in drawing the schematics.
Darrell

Chris L wrote:

> Darrell,
> I finally found a little time here to think about this. I do not know very
> much but as I mentioned, I spent some time wrestling with the NH machines.
>
> First off, I have been looking for an Engraver to retro myself. I would be
> able to use the copy of Indexer LPT that is laying around here on it. I assume
> you have the old "cartridge" style machine. It would be really great if you
> can get the electronic schematic from NewHermes for this machine because there
> really is no reason to swap out any of the drive components. The machine
> originally had plenty of power for what it was designed to do. What you need
> to do is what Ballendo indicated he did once, and that is just find a way to
> introduce Step and Direction Signals from a NEW source. I worked with the
> newer EP module machines. They always came with a full schematic and the right
> guy could "cut in" in the right spot.
>
> Hopefully they offered a diagram back then. The world of Computerized
> Engraving was "Top Secret" at that time so who knows.
>
> I remembered the name of one company in particualar who was at all of the
> trade shows, offering retro controls for these older machines. Their "hype"
> was that they could import more formats from external sources and actually
> make these machines do what an individual wanted but was restricted from
> doing. To my Suprise, they still exist. Solustan:
> http://www.solustan.com/home.html Famous for MaxMotion. The others like
> Western engravers probably will sell you a control but you would likely be
> replacing everything except the motors.
>
> I would tend to try to apply one of the Controls that are mentioned on this
> NG. But you may be able to at least learn something from Solustan.
>
> Sounds like you are on the right track though. You have already recognized
> that you might at the very least be able to use the power supply and just get
> new drivers and control software.
> I would sure exhaust all options trying to run with the existing drivers
> first.
>
> Please keep us posted as to how it turns out. Take your control boards to the
> smartest electronics person you know, maybe he can determine the dividing
> point.
>
> I look forward to having one running sometime this year. I noticed that even
> the very old machines draw a pretty good crowd on E-Bay, making them a bit
> pricey. I hope to fall into a broken one.
>
> Alan's Dahlgren will be about the same type of project. Alan need not lose any
> sleep over that Non-Motorized Z axis. Most of todays S&D controls can handle
> that Selenoid, or Air operated Z axis just fine. You just won't be able to
> enjoy any full 3d work with it.
>
> Chris L

Discussion Thread

Darrell Daniels 2001-12-29 10:29:25 UTC Vanguard 3000 engraver retrofit ballendo 2002-01-03 17:15:44 UTC Re: Vanguard 3000 engraver retrofit Chris L 2002-01-03 20:19:33 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Vanguard 3000 engraver retrofit Darrell Daniels 2002-01-04 09:26:46 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Vanguard 3000 engraver retrofit Darrell Daniels 2002-01-04 09:28:58 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Vanguard 3000 engraver retrofit CL 2002-01-04 10:30:39 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Vanguard 3000 engraver retrofit rcstickman 2002-01-04 17:13:39 UTC Re: Vanguard 3000 engraver retrofit Chris L 2002-01-05 07:56:15 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Vanguard 3000 engraver retrofit Darrell Daniels 2002-01-07 01:09:11 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Vanguard 3000 engraver retrofit