CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Vanguard 3000 engraver retrofit

Posted by Chris L
on 2002-01-05 07:56:15 UTC
Darrell,
I finally found a little time here to think about this. I do not know very
much but as I mentioned, I spent some time wrestling with the NH machines.

First off, I have been looking for an Engraver to retro myself. I would be
able to use the copy of Indexer LPT that is laying around here on it. I assume
you have the old "cartridge" style machine. It would be really great if you
can get the electronic schematic from NewHermes for this machine because there
really is no reason to swap out any of the drive components. The machine
originally had plenty of power for what it was designed to do. What you need
to do is what Ballendo indicated he did once, and that is just find a way to
introduce Step and Direction Signals from a NEW source. I worked with the
newer EP module machines. They always came with a full schematic and the right
guy could "cut in" in the right spot.

Hopefully they offered a diagram back then. The world of Computerized
Engraving was "Top Secret" at that time so who knows.

I remembered the name of one company in particualar who was at all of the
trade shows, offering retro controls for these older machines. Their "hype"
was that they could import more formats from external sources and actually
make these machines do what an individual wanted but was restricted from
doing. To my Suprise, they still exist. Solustan:
http://www.solustan.com/home.html Famous for MaxMotion. The others like
Western engravers probably will sell you a control but you would likely be
replacing everything except the motors.

I would tend to try to apply one of the Controls that are mentioned on this
NG. But you may be able to at least learn something from Solustan.

Sounds like you are on the right track though. You have already recognized
that you might at the very least be able to use the power supply and just get
new drivers and control software.
I would sure exhaust all options trying to run with the existing drivers
first.

Please keep us posted as to how it turns out. Take your control boards to the
smartest electronics person you know, maybe he can determine the dividing
point.

I look forward to having one running sometime this year. I noticed that even
the very old machines draw a pretty good crowd on E-Bay, making them a bit
pricey. I hope to fall into a broken one.

Alan's Dahlgren will be about the same type of project. Alan need not lose any
sleep over that Non-Motorized Z axis. Most of todays S&D controls can handle
that Selenoid, or Air operated Z axis just fine. You just won't be able to
enjoy any full 3d work with it.

Chris L