CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: How bout this idea??

on 2002-03-13 20:45:36 UTC
For good performance in a servo system with linear encoders on the table,
I'd want a tach on the motor shaft as well.

Paul R. Hvidston, N6MGN
ACKSYS Engineering
Upland, CA
----- Original Message -----
From: "deanc500" <deanc@...>
To: <CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2002 8:04 PM
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: How bout this idea??

> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., Doug Fortune <pentam@c...> wrote:
> > sspeed33317 wrote:
> >
> > > I came up with this idea , using regular DC motors , not servomotors
> > > mounting linear encoders right to all the axes
> > >
> > > would eliminate the need for Servo motors , would eliminate
> > > the need for Zero lash ball screws ,would eliminate the need
> > > for expensive servo motors , wouldn't have to compensate for any
> > > backlash because it would be reading actual table movement .
> > >
> > > And the benefit of the ACME screws friction to help hold
> > > the table in position .
> > >
> > > And you could tie in for DRO use ,or tie into an existing DRO
> > > for CNC use if you already have one.
> > >
> > > Good idea??? Any body have input??? .
> > > Already in service??
> >
> > Yup, great idea ... been using it for a few months now
> > (see my webpage where I sell this type of acme leadscrew
> > with an encoder nib on the end for mounting the encoder).
> >
> > The only minor catch is that you still have to make sure
> > your motor-coupler-screw (or motor-gearing-screw) interface
> > has very little backlash (compared to the resolution of the
> > encoder mounted on the screw), otherwise a nasty oscillation
> > can be set up (I'm guessing that a few encoder counts of
> > backlash is OK).
> >
> > Now your table will still appear to have backlash if your
> > table nut has backlash (this is a candidate for compensation
> > in software). Luckily I have found using long length nuts
> > (greater than 3:1 length:dia ratio) have under 1 thou backlash
> > (when new & unworn). I use a 6:1 ratio and there is no measurable
> > backlash.
> >
> > Note that (expensive but worth it in some applications) ballscrews
> > have other desirable features beyond just the low/no backlash
> > ballnuts, so just because you can eliminate backlash doesn't mean
> > that ballscrews aren't the perfect answer (for some applications).
> >

> > Doug Fortune
> > http://www.cncKITS.com
>
> Hi Tim and Doug,
>
> Doug, know from our experiments how and encoder on a lead screw can
> cause trouble. There has to be next to no backlash in the system. So
> again, your long acme nuts or spring loaded backlash nuts would have
> to be used.
> I also have an idea that may be crazy, but here it is anyway. There
> have recently been a couple of threads discussing the virtues of
> ballscrews vs acme (and all its grades) vs regular threaded rod. All
> of these methods are bad for reasons of cost or poor accuracy. How
> about if you removed the encoder from the screw altogether. I saw a
> photo somewhere recently of a benchtop mill that had a dro where the
> encoders were driven by a cable. The fellow had even used a pulley
> system to increase the resolution. So what would happen if you had
> inexpensive screws and anti backlash nuts of some kind, and cable
> driven encoders. Seems to me that your accuracy would not be affected
> by the screw at all. Just a thought.

> [...]

Discussion Thread

sspeed33317 2002-03-13 16:20:50 UTC How bout this idea?? Doug Fortune 2002-03-13 17:24:52 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] How bout this idea?? JanRwl@A... 2002-03-13 19:58:23 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] How bout this idea?? deanc500 2002-03-13 20:04:23 UTC Re: How bout this idea?? sspeed33317 2002-03-13 20:26:38 UTC Re: How bout this idea?? Paul R. Hvidston 2002-03-13 20:45:36 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: How bout this idea?? deanc500 2002-03-13 20:53:12 UTC Re: How bout this idea?? wanliker@a... 2002-03-13 20:55:18 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: How bout this idea?? Tim Goldstein 2002-03-13 21:18:58 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] How bout this idea?? Paul R. Hvidston 2002-03-13 21:44:47 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: How bout this idea?? Doug Fortune 2002-03-13 22:01:51 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: How bout this idea?? Jon Elson 2002-03-13 23:11:17 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: How bout this idea?? Jon Elson 2002-03-13 23:22:41 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: How bout this idea?? Brian 2002-03-14 16:53:28 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: How bout this idea??