CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Real-Time measurement

Posted by Ian W. Wright
on 2002-04-14 00:08:20 UTC
Hi Doug,

This may work in certain circumstances but I'm not sure you could get enough
accuracy to be sure the 'errors' detected are in the machine and not in the
measuring equipment. Errors in the pitch of the leadscrew at any point are
likely to be less than the errors in calculating the rotation of the
encoder - especially as there is some 'guesswork' involved in deciding the
effective diameter of the wire/pulley combination, the effect of the helical
path around the pulley, stretch in the wire, the effects of catenary, and
the precision of the mathematical conversion from linear to rotary motion.
Having said that, this method may be the nearest you can get to accurate
measurement in the home shop as anything better would need a travelling
microscope on an optical bench or, at least, a whole mess of accurate gauge
blocks!

Best wishes,
Ian
--