CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Mobilitiy, machine skates

Posted by Ian W. Wright
on 2002-07-05 01:45:25 UTC
Hi,

I've moved some pretty big machines around with crowbars and short lengths
of scaffold pole or steel rods. This method has the advantage that the
machine is unlikely to run away from you - on skates if it gets on a sloping
surface it can get out of control but using steel tubes or rods, it will
just tip a little and dig in when it gets past its centre of gravity. You
would need at least 3 people - two pushing and steering the machine and one
feeding the tubes from the back of the machine to the front - having said
that, I did put my big lathe in the workshop which is up a 1 in 5 driveway
with just one helper (and a chain hoist roped around the garage!)
Where you have to go across uneven ground or timber floors you will need
spreader plates - either sheets of strong plywood or, better still, 1/8" or
thicker steel sheet - a couple of these about 4 feet square should do the
trick. The main thing is, take it slowly - think hard about the possible
consequences of any action before you do it and it wouldn't be a bad idea to
have people at each side and front and back with safety ropes to the top of
the machine to hold it if it overbalances. This way you will survive the
experience!!

Best wishes,
Ian
--