CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: SeriesII Quill Zaxis CNC addon ideas: Like JonE's?

Posted by vrsculptor
on 2002-11-22 08:22:16 UTC
Dan,
No disagreement with what you said but there are significant
differences between the Tree's knee and a Bridgeport knee. The box
ways on the Tree's knee are huge and the bearing surface (turcite) is
several times larger than a Bridgeport. It was designed from the get
go to be active. I haven't powered mine yet but plan to soon.

How big a motor did you end up with?

Roger

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "Dan Mauch" <dmauch@s...> wrote:
> I have to jump in here.
> I recently helped a customer put a 4 axis servo system onto a Ebay
> purchased 3500# Tree Mill which is probablty equivalent to a series
2
> mill. The machine as purchased had beautiful ballscrews with zero
> backlash on the XY axis. The knee was driven by a AC servo motor
mounted
> onto a 5:1 gearhead driving an acme leadscrew. It was obvious that
the
> machine had seen a lot of use but was in near perfect mechanical
> condition. The A/C servo controls were dead. During the retrofit we
> simply replaced the existing servo motors with ones compatible
with the
> G320. It was really simple . Unbolt the existing motors and replace
it
> with a standard servo motor with a 5/8" shaft. It used a 2/1 ratio
> timing belt/pulley. After it was changed over the only problem we
ran
> into was that for some reasons the calculated size of the motor for
the
> knee proved inadequate so we replaced the Z motor with a larger
motor.
> It ran beautifully with a low (50)cpr encoder on the knee servo
motor.
> From what I could see that machine must have had many thousands
hours or
> use and yet the acme leadscrew on the massive knee, with no other
> assistance, seemed to be in good condition as we never did see any
> backlash or slop in the knee. The guy is currently using it to make
> parts. I can see no reason why driving the knee will cause him any
wear
> concerns.
> Dan

hadn't
> even considered it, but it makes sense if you think about the
constant
> up-and-down in almost the same area on the screw. I was pointed to
some
> pictures the other day, at http://www.motovidia.com/MILL%20pics/,
which
> showed a Z axis knee, with a ballscrew, and to keep the knee from
> falling through gravity, he had to mount a 150 lb. gas spring from
the
> knee to the base, to balance it. I wonder if the tendency of the
knee to
> fall, can be overcome by using a ball screw with a greater number of
> TPI?
>
> Marv Frankel
> Los Angeles

Carrying
> that
> > much weight and moving it all the time will likely yield an
> > inconsistent pitch in a relatively short time. Besides, on my
machine
> > it was already equipped with the ground screws from the factory.
> >
> > Tim
> > [Denver, CO]
> > Sherline products at Deep Discount (now Mach1 CNC controller too)
> > www.KTMarketing.com/Sherline

POSTING
> > THEM.
> DON'T POST IF YOU CAN NOT ACCEPT THIS.....NO EXCEPTIONS........
> > bill
> > List Mom
> > List Owner
> >

> > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
> > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

> Post Messages: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y...
>
> Subscribe: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO-subscribe@y...
> Moderator: jmelson@a... timg@k... [Moderator]
>
> OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
> aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to
reach it
> if you have trouble.

be a
> sister site to the CCED group, as many of the same members are
there,
> for OT subjects, that are not allowed on the CCED list.
>
> NOTICE: ALL POSTINGS TO THIS GROUP BECOME PUBLIC DOMAIN BY POSTING
THEM.
> DON'T POST IF YOU CAN NOT ACCEPT THIS.....NO EXCEPTIONS........ bill
> List Mom List Owner
>

> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
> http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Discussion Thread

Lee Studley 2002-11-21 12:44:23 UTC SeriesII Quill Zaxis CNC addon ideas: Like Jon E's? Tim Goldstein 2002-11-21 13:48:40 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] SeriesII Quill Zaxis CNC addon ideas: Like Jon E's? Marv Frankel 2002-11-21 14:12:21 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] SeriesII Quill Zaxis CNC addon ideas: Like Jon E's? Lee Studley 2002-11-21 14:14:48 UTC Re: SeriesII Quill Zaxis CNC addon ideas: Like Jon E's? Lee Studley 2002-11-21 14:17:41 UTC Re: SeriesII Quill Zaxis CNC addon ideas: Like Jon E's? Tim Goldstein 2002-11-21 16:51:06 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] SeriesII Quill Zaxis CNC addon ideas: Like Jon E's? Jon Elson 2002-11-21 22:58:34 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] SeriesII Quill Zaxis CNC addon ideas: Like Jon E's? Marv Frankel 2002-11-22 00:45:05 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] SeriesII Quill Zaxis CNC addon ideas: Like Jon E's? Dan Mauch 2002-11-22 06:57:40 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] SeriesII Quill Zaxis CNC addon ideas: Like JonE's? Marv Frankel 2002-11-22 07:52:02 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] SeriesII Quill Zaxis CNC addon ideas: Like JonE's? vrsculptor 2002-11-22 08:22:16 UTC Re: SeriesII Quill Zaxis CNC addon ideas: Like JonE's? Dan Mauch 2002-11-22 08:59:45 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] SeriesII Quill Zaxis CNC addon ideas: LikeJonE's? Dan Mauch 2002-11-22 09:05:27 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: SeriesII Quill Zaxis CNC addon ideas: Like JonE's? Jon Elson 2002-11-22 09:55:54 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] SeriesII Quill Zaxis CNC addon ideas: Like Jon E's?