CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: SeriesII Quill Zaxis CNC addon ideas: Like JonE's?

Posted by Dan Mauch
on 2002-11-22 09:05:27 UTC
I calculated that my 600 oz in servo motor would have a lifting force
of 2500 lbs but the gecko 320 kept faulting even with the gain turned
up. It may have been also do to the fact that the 600 oz in motor used a
250 cpr encoder so there were an awesome number of steps per in i.e.
250X4X5X10=50000. So I took the shotgun approach and put a 50 CPR
encoder on a 900 oz in motor. It was more than up to the task and as I
recall didn't even get warm. I'm sure the two changes in combination
solved the problem.
Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: vrsculptor [mailto:vrsculptor@...]
Sent: Friday, November 22, 2002 8:22 AM
To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: SeriesII Quill Zaxis CNC addon ideas:
Like JonE's?

Dan,
No disagreement with what you said but there are significant
differences between the Tree's knee and a Bridgeport knee. The box
ways on the Tree's knee are huge and the bearing surface (turcite) is
several times larger than a Bridgeport. It was designed from the get
go to be active. I haven't powered mine yet but plan to soon.

How big a motor did you end up with?

Roger

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "Dan Mauch" <dmauch@s...> wrote:
> I have to jump in here.
> I recently helped a customer put a 4 axis servo system onto a Ebay
> purchased 3500# Tree Mill which is probablty equivalent to a series
2
> mill. The machine as purchased had beautiful ballscrews with zero
> backlash on the XY axis. The knee was driven by a AC servo motor
mounted
> onto a 5:1 gearhead driving an acme leadscrew. It was obvious that
the
> machine had seen a lot of use but was in near perfect mechanical
> condition. The A/C servo controls were dead. During the retrofit we
> simply replaced the existing servo motors with ones compatible
with the
> G320. It was really simple . Unbolt the existing motors and replace
it
> with a standard servo motor with a 5/8" shaft. It used a 2/1 ratio
> timing belt/pulley. After it was changed over the only problem we
ran
> into was that for some reasons the calculated size of the motor for
the
> knee proved inadequate so we replaced the Z motor with a larger
motor.
> It ran beautifully with a low (50)cpr encoder on the knee servo
motor.
> From what I could see that machine must have had many thousands
hours or
> use and yet the acme leadscrew on the massive knee, with no other
> assistance, seemed to be in good condition as we never did see any
> backlash or slop in the knee. The guy is currently using it to make
> parts. I can see no reason why driving the knee will cause him any
wear
> concerns.
> Dan

hadn't
> even considered it, but it makes sense if you think about the
constant
> up-and-down in almost the same area on the screw. I was pointed to
some
> pictures the other day, at http://www.motovidia.com/MILL%20pics/,
which
> showed a Z axis knee, with a ballscrew, and to keep the knee from
> falling through gravity, he had to mount a 150 lb. gas spring from
the
> knee to the base, to balance it. I wonder if the tendency of the
knee to
> fall, can be overcome by using a ball screw with a greater number of
> TPI?
>
> Marv Frankel
> Los Angeles

Carrying
> that
> > much weight and moving it all the time will likely yield an
> > inconsistent pitch in a relatively short time. Besides, on my
machine
> > it was already equipped with the ground screws from the factory.
> >
> > Tim
> > [Denver, CO]
> > Sherline products at Deep Discount (now Mach1 CNC controller too)
> > www.KTMarketing.com/Sherline

POSTING

Post Messages: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com

Moderator: jmelson@... timg@... [Moderator]

OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
If you wish to post on unlimited OT subjects goto:
aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to reach it
if you have trouble.

sister site to the CCED group, as many of the same members are there,
for OT subjects, that are not allowed on the CCED list.

NOTICE: ALL POSTINGS TO THIS GROUP BECOME PUBLIC DOMAIN BY POSTING THEM.
DON'T POST IF YOU CAN NOT ACCEPT THIS.....NO EXCEPTIONS........ bill
List Mom List Owner

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Discussion Thread

Lee Studley 2002-11-21 12:44:23 UTC SeriesII Quill Zaxis CNC addon ideas: Like Jon E's? Tim Goldstein 2002-11-21 13:48:40 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] SeriesII Quill Zaxis CNC addon ideas: Like Jon E's? Marv Frankel 2002-11-21 14:12:21 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] SeriesII Quill Zaxis CNC addon ideas: Like Jon E's? Lee Studley 2002-11-21 14:14:48 UTC Re: SeriesII Quill Zaxis CNC addon ideas: Like Jon E's? Lee Studley 2002-11-21 14:17:41 UTC Re: SeriesII Quill Zaxis CNC addon ideas: Like Jon E's? Tim Goldstein 2002-11-21 16:51:06 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] SeriesII Quill Zaxis CNC addon ideas: Like Jon E's? Jon Elson 2002-11-21 22:58:34 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] SeriesII Quill Zaxis CNC addon ideas: Like Jon E's? Marv Frankel 2002-11-22 00:45:05 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] SeriesII Quill Zaxis CNC addon ideas: Like Jon E's? Dan Mauch 2002-11-22 06:57:40 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] SeriesII Quill Zaxis CNC addon ideas: Like JonE's? Marv Frankel 2002-11-22 07:52:02 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] SeriesII Quill Zaxis CNC addon ideas: Like JonE's? vrsculptor 2002-11-22 08:22:16 UTC Re: SeriesII Quill Zaxis CNC addon ideas: Like JonE's? Dan Mauch 2002-11-22 08:59:45 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] SeriesII Quill Zaxis CNC addon ideas: LikeJonE's? Dan Mauch 2002-11-22 09:05:27 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: SeriesII Quill Zaxis CNC addon ideas: Like JonE's? Jon Elson 2002-11-22 09:55:54 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] SeriesII Quill Zaxis CNC addon ideas: Like Jon E's?