CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Re: CCED_ machinable text files

on 2003-01-08 10:11:00 UTC
IMService wrote:

> >Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 01:20:02 -0000
> > From: "wiz1026 <ouisel@...>" <ouisel@...>
> >Subject: Re: CCED_ machinable text files
>
> >Ivan wrote:
>
> >I was sending out the files because of
> >problems another person in the group had in trying to use AutoCAD
> >(which he either had, or had access to) to make engravable text.
>
> If you could provide the information to do the same in Intellicad, it would
> be welcome and probably useful to many members of the group. I have
> tried to find the convert text to vectors function several times and cannot
> seem to make it happen.

I was under the impression that IntelliCAD was file and command compatible with AutoCAD. Does it have the same import options?

> >Oh, and something that may be a shock to you (it surprised me):
> >Sometimes old software is thrown out when a company goes to a
> >different kind of software. I had a high school student, working after
> >school at a engineering firm, who was given disks, books, & paperwork
> >when they discarded AutoCAD R14 and Mechanical Desktop to go to a
> >different kind of CAD software.
>
> Autodesk has recently made a big stink about their software NOT being
> transferrable from one licensee to another. (I know, consider their beginnings)
> There is standing policy of rejection at Ebay of auctions of Acad software.
> Since the group has a strong antipiracy stance, it further brings into
> question the support of Autocad users that cannot get direct support from
> their rep or from Autodesk.

The nontransferable license is also news to me - I never checked the fine print. Do you know if any other companies have the same restrictions? I find it strange, but believable that AutoDesk has a
policy like that. I did know that they were pretty vicious about anti-piracy, so I was trying to always stay legit on ways to get stuff (or so I thought).

Please tell me that it's legal to go dumpster diving for equipment! The servo motors and linear bearings that I have came off junked industrial robots. (The cnc mill had already been stripped of parts
before I got there.)

Ivan