CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: loose quil

Posted by Jon Anderson
on 2003-01-20 11:17:52 UTC
"turbulatordude " wrote:

> seems the thin gap, less than 2 mil makes it hard to get the stuff in
> there. With a thin gap, I cannot see how to fill the void

I seem to recall the recommended gap being around 1/16 or so. By the
time you get release agent on the quill, you are going to be looking at,
assuming you can perfectly centralize the quill to the bore, a gap of
around .0012-.0013. You are going to need a whole lot of pressure to get
it to fill this gap. It will flow into any grooves you make fairly
easily but will not move much beyond the edges of the grooves.
If this drill press is built like any I've seen, the quill has a rack
gear machined into it. Get Moglice into that and you will have fits
getting the quill back out.
I've played with it a bit and find even when I think I'm putting too
much release agent on, it's still not enough. Moglice will -perfectly-
replicate -any- imperfections in the quill. If it's worn by even a
couple tenths anywhere along the quill, the quill will bind.

Slotting the quill housing is by far the easiest route. I had a Rockwell
drill press with this feature. I know the slot allowed clamping the
quill, but I seem to recall another bolt above the quill lock for
adjustment. (I sold it so cannot go look to verify)

If you insist on using Moglice, the recommended procedure would be to
bore the housing to a little less than 1/16 clearance. You can buy 1/16
shims of Moglice. Glue thin strips of this shim material into the
housing and scrape them in until you can just fit the quill. These will
centralize the quill. Make sure none of these strips are placed where
the rack would pass over them.
Fill the rack with clay and make sure you have no low spots below the
surface of the quill. All the clay needs to be slightly above the
surface.
Coat liberally with release agent and place quill into head.
Pack clay into the quill pinion holes as needed to seal the bore. Do
this also at the end of the bore in the casting.
At this point you should have the quill centralized, an open gap at the
bottom of the casting between the casting and the quill, and all
possible placed Moglice could escape sealed with clay (or wax).
The pourable version will fill this 1/16 gap though pouring it in will
be messy, I'd recommend some disposable syringes with a fairly fine tip.

This all is a lot of work. I haven't caught mention of the brand, but if
this is some cheapo import you might want to weigh hunting for a
replacement closer to your desired standards. If it's a quality drill
press then it would better justify the effort.

Don't mean to discourage you from trying. I've just spent more time than
I like to think about trying to make silk purses out of cheapo imported
sow's ears. Sometimes you're better off punting....

david_mucha <david_mucha@y... 2003-01-19 16:17:46 UTC loose quil JanRwl@A... 2003-01-19 16:39:17 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] loose quil Marv Frankel 2003-01-19 17:12:16 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] loose quil Tim Goldstein 2003-01-19 17:57:46 UTC List management personnel changes wanliker@a... 2003-01-19 18:16:59 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] List management personnel changes Dan Mauch 2003-01-20 07:12:16 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] loose quil vrsculptor <vrsculptor@h... 2003-01-20 07:44:16 UTC Re: loose quil doug98105 <dougrasmussen@c... 2003-01-20 07:47:50 UTC Re: loose quil turbulatordude <davemucha@j... 2003-01-20 09:30:48 UTC Re: loose quil Marv Frankel 2003-01-20 11:03:22 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: loose quil Jon Anderson 2003-01-20 11:17:52 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: loose quil turbulatordude <davemucha@j... 2003-01-20 11:23:16 UTC Re: loose quil ballendo <ballendo@y... 2003-01-23 01:10:48 UTC Re: loose quill turbulatordude <davemucha@j... 2003-01-23 06:24:31 UTC Re: loose quill