CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: loose quill

on 2003-01-23 06:24:31 UTC
Hi Ballendo,

I am going to measure the gap as accurately as possible then use some
shim stock as the first attempt.

The HF Mini-drill press 1/4 hp motor, 1/2" chuck $39 on sale is
simple. but the QC is very poor.

The bearings on a sister unit slip easily in the quill. not even a
close to press fit. Seems like if I bought 3 units, I could make
one good one.

The bore of the cast on this one is way oversized.

I used a pair of brass screws at an angle to push the quill back on
another unit. Not too happy with the results. The nylon setscrews
offer a good option. Many better quality combine a slit casting with
locking screw for a combination quill lock and variable tightening
for accuracy. This unit does not have enough casting to put in
anything above a 10-32. Then it would only squeeze the lower casting.

Since I am drilling 3/8 holes in aluminum as the largest size, I did
a very quick check to see what else would be available. As I
understand, there are some different heads available. I chose the HF
as the cost of the whole machine is low, but it started out as a
proof of concept.

The mini-mill head, in it's entirety (motor and speed control) goes
for around $250.00 from LittleMachineShop, or just the spindle part
goes for around $60.00 you add the motor.

I tried looking at the Sherline stuff, but the best I could find was
an exploded view and not a full sub-assembly nor a pricing.

I think there is a definite spot where a sub-assembly could make the
whole Z axis an easy CNC candidate. just mount the whole subassembly
on a gantry and you're off to the races.

I haven't gotten to the point of making a higher quality unit myself,
and will probably go with the mill head replacement next year.

Dave

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "ballendo <ballendo@y...>"

<dcdziner@p...>
> wrote:
> > Dave,
> > Don't forget one thing. All of those castable materials
> require a
> > release agent to keep from sticking to one of the surfaces. If
you
> try to
> > pump the material in to fill the gap, without the release agent
> inside the
> > quill, (almost impossible) you're going to eliminate all of the
> play, but
> > your quill will not move. It will almost be welded solid. Have
you
> tried my
> > previous suggestion of contacting an engine rebuilder yet?
> >
> > Marv Frankel
> > Los Angeles

Time,

wanliker@a...
> > > Moderator: pentam@c... indigo_red@q... timg@k...
> > [Moderator]
> > > URL to this group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO
> > >
> > > OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
> > > If you wish to post on unlimited OT subjects goto:
> > aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to
> reach it if
> > you have trouble.
> > > http://www.metalworking.com/news_servers.html

> to be a
> > sister site to the CCED group, as many of the same members are
> there, for OT
> > subjects, that are not allowed on the CCED list.
> > >
> > > NOTICE: ALL POSTINGS TO THIS GROUP BECOME PUBLIC DOMAIN BY
> POSTING THEM.
> > DON'T POST IF YOU CAN NOT ACCEPT THIS.....NO EXCEPTIONS........
> > > bill
> > > List Mom
> > > List Owner
> > >

> > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
> http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Discussion Thread

david_mucha <david_mucha@y... 2003-01-19 16:17:46 UTC loose quil JanRwl@A... 2003-01-19 16:39:17 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] loose quil Marv Frankel 2003-01-19 17:12:16 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] loose quil Tim Goldstein 2003-01-19 17:57:46 UTC List management personnel changes wanliker@a... 2003-01-19 18:16:59 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] List management personnel changes Dan Mauch 2003-01-20 07:12:16 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] loose quil vrsculptor <vrsculptor@h... 2003-01-20 07:44:16 UTC Re: loose quil doug98105 <dougrasmussen@c... 2003-01-20 07:47:50 UTC Re: loose quil turbulatordude <davemucha@j... 2003-01-20 09:30:48 UTC Re: loose quil Marv Frankel 2003-01-20 11:03:22 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: loose quil Jon Anderson 2003-01-20 11:17:52 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: loose quil turbulatordude <davemucha@j... 2003-01-20 11:23:16 UTC Re: loose quil ballendo <ballendo@y... 2003-01-23 01:10:48 UTC Re: loose quill turbulatordude <davemucha@j... 2003-01-23 06:24:31 UTC Re: loose quill