CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Need xyz driver board kit...Please advise

on 2003-06-04 07:51:42 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Hector"
<hector_a_quintanilla@y...> wrote:
> Im planning to build a cnc workshop bot (table router) I have seen
> several ways to go in matter of the driverboard...I think the
better
> way to go will be a already made 3axis driver board. I seen lots of
> options but dont have a clue of one with ease of use and quality.
So
> please advise on where I can buy a god one for a fare price.
> I want a bot capable of cutting 4x8feet ply sheets up to 3/4" and I
> planning to use a 3hp router. I have doubts of which stepper motors
> to use and its capacity, so please also recomend some good ones.
> Reagrds...
> Hector Quintanilla

Hi Hector,

and welcome to the list.

Since you start with a 3 hp router, and 3/4 plywood, you can
determine that a low power axis is not workable.

that being said, like Bob mentioned, the Gecko's are a great place to
start. they have a 70 volt upper limit and 7 amps limit both of
which ofer you great range of stuff.

as a very general rule, for steppers the higher voltage you run the
faster they go. This is introductory general statement, for the
engineering, search the list.

also, a stepper runs best at around 20 times the nameplate voltage
and is over volted at more than 25 times nameplate. What this means
is that you should look for motors that are in the 1 to 4 volt
range. avoid 12 volt motors and higher voltage ones except pacific
Scientific ones. a 36 volt PacSci motor is already multiplied to get
that high voltage. but double check to be sure.

About steppers, the NEMA number represent the diameter of the body. a
NEMA23 is 2.3 inches dia. you will be best off starting with a NEM34
motor and looking for one that is higher torque. since you are just
starting out, you have a long to search for them, so keep your eyes
open for a deal.

Dave

Discussion Thread

Hector 2003-06-03 22:41:48 UTC Need xyz driver board kit...Please advise Robert Campbell 2003-06-04 07:18:52 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Need xyz driver board kit...Please advise turbulatordude 2003-06-04 07:51:42 UTC Re: Need xyz driver board kit...Please advise Hector 2003-06-05 18:30:22 UTC Re: Need xyz driver board kit...Please advise--This is the motors I'm looking to Hector 2003-06-05 18:35:54 UTC Re: Need xyz driver board kit...How do I interface the geckos drivers... cncnovice 2003-06-05 20:26:42 UTC Re: Need xyz driver board kit...How do I interface the geckos drivers... wayne_j_hill 2003-06-05 21:17:20 UTC Re: Need xyz driver board kit...How do I interface the geckos drivers... Robert Campbell 2003-06-06 05:34:10 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Need xyz driver board kit...How do I interface the geckos drivers... Hector 2003-06-06 18:01:37 UTC Re: Need xyz driver board kit...How do I interface the geckos drivers... Robert Campbell 2003-06-06 18:41:20 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Need xyz driver board kit...How do I interface the geckos drivers...